Forum home Plants

Do slugs eat viola and primrose?

Saw my local Sainsbury's doing half price discounts on those bedding plants (£1.75 per 6 plugs) but worry that they'll just become snacks for the slugs... Thanks!

• B3B3 Posts: 27,299
    Violas get eaten. Wild primulas, the flowers, rarely - the leaves, never. The fancy cultivars seem more susceptible
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Sparrows seem partial to the flowers of primula/primrose.  Bit swings and roundabouts really :)
  • Thanks both. Oh well, I'll save the £3.5 to get some snacks for myself then.  :D
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    Thanks both. Oh well, I'll save the £3.5 to get some snacks for myself then.  :D
      That's a better idea! :D 

I find slugs/snails do eat the native primula flowers, but they flower on and off all year round here, so I just let them get on with it, and pick the manky soggy stuff [flowers and foliage] off now and again. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Yes they eat mine too. Ive just split some biggish clumps,and there were 20 or more small slugs underneath,I wondered why the leaves were holey.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Mrs_MigginsMrs_Miggins Posts: 60
    edited October 2021
    My (summer) pansies were destroyed by them and my violas were definitely the worse for wear. Still going to get more bedding plants but will be taking 'measures' (nightly slug and snail hunt. A great time to really examine your plants)