Forum home Problem solving

Rose identification needed

Hello, could anyone help identify this rose please? It’s from my mother’s garden - she died last year & I would really like to grow one in my garden to remember her by. Sadly her house is in the process of being sold now & I am unable to take it with me as it’s in a completely overgrown bed & I can’t get to it. I think it’s probably not the right time of year for cuttings either. The smell is as beautiful as the rose. If anyone recognises it I’d be so grateful to know the name. Thank you 

• Jenny-RJenny-R Posts: 38
    Hi @Molly69

So sorry about your mother. Her rose looks like it could be Hot Chocolate to me but I’m 
    no expert. Hopefully one of the rose experts on here will be able to name it for you.
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,644
    @Molly69 Possibly Fragrant Cloud? You wouldn’t want to take cuttings from a hybrid tea as they tend not to be very vigorous on their own roots. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557
    edited October 2021
    I remember Fragrant Cloud as being a bit more of a cooler pink/red than the photograph ... but it's a long while ago since I had one and anyway the colours in a photograph can be very misleading. 

There was one that was very popular about the same time as Fragrant Cloud that was more of an orangey red like in the photograph, and had the same 'cone-like' shape in the centre ... was it SuperStar?  I think it was.  Can't remember if it had much perfume tho ... I'll have to google ...

Edited to add: https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/super-star-hybrid-tea-rose
    It says the fragrance strength is good.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,644
    Fragrant Cloud is definitely on the orange spectrum but is rather hard to photograph accurately…

edited October 2021
    As you say ... a difficult colour to photograph, even by professionals.  

I remember that back in the very early '70s many gardens (including one we moved in to) had a row of four HT roses ... Super Star, Fragrant Cloud, Blue Moon and another ... wracking my brains to remember which it was ... I think they'd been an offer in the Radio Times or Sunday Express or similar.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Molly69Molly69 Posts: 28
    You are all so kind thank you! It does look a lot like the fragrant cloud and also superstar - it was quite an orangey red - maybe I’ll get one of each! 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,206
    edited October 2021
    I saw Rosa Hot Chocolate at Peter Beales Classic roses this summer and it looked very like your rose - if the colour is accurate. On their website it looks more red than it did in real life. It's more russet red, not chocolate so I don't think the name is a good guide. I thought Hot Chocolate before I saw @Jenny-R 's post.

I've had both Fragrant Cloud, which was redder, and Superstar, which was vermillion, in the past so I'm not sure that your rose is either - unless the colour in your photo isn't accurate. 
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Molly69Molly69 Posts: 28
    @Busy-Lizzie, the lighting probably wasn’t great so you could be right - thank you, I’ll have a look online 
  • JemulaJemula WorcestershirePosts: 158
    I agree - looks more like Hot Chocolate to me, having had it and Fragrant Cloud in a previous garden.
    edited October 2021
    I suppose a clue might be if it's known which decade it was planted in and it's growth/flowering habit .... Fragrant Cloud and Superstar were definitely popular around the late 60s/early 70s, and were both HTs  whereas Hot Chocolate wasn't introduced until 2005 and is a floribunda .
    https://www.classicroses.co.uk/roses/hot-chocolate-bush-rose.html
     :)