Forum home Plants

Judas tree

pageparkpagepark Posts: 10
A Judas tree I grew from seed thirty years ago is now massive. It's now too big and in the wrong place. So does anyone know if it's cut down to about one metre can it still Hopefully sprout from the bottom?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,192
    Haven't tried that yet but I now have a 30cm tall healthy plant which I grew from a small shoot knocked off a plant like yours. I put the shoot in a jacket pocket and only found it about six weeks later. I noticed it had small roots growing so I potted it up and it has grown steadily since. A couple of leaves which got knocked off that new plant have also rooted since so you have lots of options to make sure you always have a jade plant.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,331
    steephill said:
    Haven't tried that yet but I now have a 30cm tall healthy plant which I grew from a small shoot knocked off a plant like yours. I put the shoot in a jacket pocket and only found it about six weeks later. I noticed it had small roots growing so I potted it up and it has grown steadily since. A couple of leaves which got knocked off that new plant have also rooted since so you have lots of options to make sure you always have a jade plant.
    Please can I just check.

Crassula ovata  common name Jade plant .... is not the same as Cercis siliquastrum  common name Judas  Tree.

I would seriously doubt a Judas tree would survive such drastic treatment as suggested by pagepark

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,192
    Good point, that is the trouble with common names. My shoot was Crassula.
  • pageparkpagepark Posts: 10
    Yes it's cercis siliquastrum. I'm afraid you are right it may not survive. There are two main trunks which will have to go. But there is a smaller one in an acceptable position I can leave. And see what happens. Thanks for your comments. 
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,331
    steephill said:
    Good point, that is the trouble with common names. My shoot was Crassula.
    I thought you must have confused Judas tree with Jade plant.
    You must have misread the  common name in the title.

The two  are very very different..
    Your Jade plant is a cheap,  easy to grow   very common houseplant,
    while  the Judas tree  a harder to grow glorious tree.

Sadly a cutting from the Judas tree would never survive in a pocket for weeks and then root and grow!

Maybe you can start to sell your rooted cuttings and make your fortune.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Jade-Plant-Cactis-Succulents/19617/bn_7030415510?rt=nc&_sop=2
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • cmarkrcmarkr Posts: 77
    steephill said:
    . I put the shoot in a jacket pocket and only found it about six weeks later. .
    I read this as jacket potato and assumed it was a way of rooting cuttings. 🤦‍♂️