Forum home Wildlife gardening

What's chewed its way into my new bag of jacks magic?

B3B3 Posts: 19,408
There's claw marks, small holes  in top and the corners have been chewed off. And some of the compost has been scraped out.
Do they use animal products as fertiliser?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,157
    Don't know about that particular one but if you consider that Blood, Fish and Bone is sold as a fertiliser/soil improver and is well known for it's smell, perhaps some composts also include similar animal by products ? I presume there is nothing specific listed in the contents or you wouldn't be asking. 
    Obviously something in it to make it worth while the effort to chew the bag and investigate.  Mice ?  Rats ?
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,914
    They seem to be a bit coy about what's in it on the website. It says 'seaweed enhanced' and 'all natural ingredients' - if it has blood fish and bone in it, and it might, that will attract rats and foxes
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,408
    That's my suspicion. I hope it's foxes rather than rats😒
    Rats tend to be tidier IME - a small hole and usually quite neat. Foxes or cats are a bit more inclined to rip
    edited 15 October
    Plenty of ripping! Had a look for droppings - none. 
    Probably a fox then. A good excuse to try a different (peat free) type  :)
  • KardemomKardemom Posts: 8
    I once forgot and left a whole newly opened bag of bfb out In the garden overnight and the foxes ate it all, leaving the bag behind. 
    I know I should've got peat free but I didn't see any. Serves me right!
    I'm a bit loath to use it in containers now as the foxes will dig about in them.
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,812
    I had a rat problem recently due to untidy neighbours  put rat poison wrapped in a piece of finest fruit cake and put in a bait box.  The rats ignored it and chewed through the packet of rat poison and helped themselves!! End result much the same!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,752
    I was just going to post about that @WonkyWomble 🧁 🐀 🎉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh