Forum home Plants

Saxifrage

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081
    Happy Birthday @Fairygirl🎂
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    @B3. Took the photo , now it’s getting damper the brown patches are filling in.
    Scuse the tatty begonias they’re on they're last now. 
    I love this when it’s out in flower. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Thanks @B3  :)
    I took another pic too, of that clump I posted earlier

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

@Lyn @Fairygirl. It never occurred to me to grow it in those situations. I'm going to poke it in the crazy paving gaps  and the hot dry bits and see what happens.I thought it was fussy. Who knows!😏
    BTW the manky trough is looking better only a week after moving it out of the dark. I love the different shapes of the leaves. Flowering will be a bonus but I don't mind.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    I find it very straightforward 99% of the time. The only time it struggles here is if it gets really shaded out long term - like the bit between the spireas I mentioned. Copes with everything else.
    We do get a lot of rain though, so it may be slightly harder for any bits you put into dry sunny spots, where you are. Worth experimenting with it though. I love it when it comes into flower in spring, especially the bigger clumps.
    I have a few clumps of white Arabis too, and that's good in drier spots, so might be worth trying too. Flowers for ages.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    I find it needs to not dry out too, and I'm a bit closer to you, @B3! Sorry, that was not a well-constructed sentence, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    I have plenty of material to work with @Fairygirl .  And a more than reasonable amount of rain..  Green is my favourite colour in the garden so I'm happy to see what works.if they flower, so much the better. I kept them in troughs because I believed they needed acid soil. 
    Well, if you can grow it, so can I @LG_ 😊
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    It romps away here and is taking over everything else like some kind of swamp monster. It's already swallowed some of my best sedums. In the summer it browns a bit where it cascades over the edge of the wall, and occasionally I get a big hole where a vole tunnels up through the middle. Oddly I can't grow it in a pot because of the vine weevil grubs but they don't bother it when it's planted out.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    It doesn’t seem to need any soil, in that photo of mine above, it’s just in rocks. I don’t know how it came to be there, never planted it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.