Forum home Problem solving

Broken trellis

Hi all,
We’ve a well established clematis in our new house that has a broken trellis behind it (the wood itself has broken in places and has also come loose from the wall as well). 
Any suggestions on how I can secure this without damaging the plant? 
Thanks! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    The best thing to do is cut the clematis back and replace the trellis.
    It won't harm the clematis at all, it'll only delay flowering - and that depends on the variety and when it flowers  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• How far back would you recommend cutting back the clematis? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,549
    I'd take it down to about 18" tall.  I'd also scrape off as much of the surface soil as I could and replace it with well-rotted garden compost or some other organic soil improver.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    As far back as you need to, to get at the trellis. I hacked back one of my early ones, a couple of years ago, to about a foot in order to alter the trellis and repaint it. It was back to almost full size the following summer  :)

Many clematis are actively pruned hard in late winter/early spring anyway, but even the ones which don't need any, other than the odd tidy up, will come to no harm. 
    Do you know what variety it is? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley South ManchesterPosts: 347
    Instead of replacing the trellis after you've cut it back, you could string laterally, reasonably strong  garden wire from eyes fixed in the wall which would be a more lasting arrangement.
    I use the thin strip wire used to tie plants, vertically between these wires as these are easy to cut when I prune them back late in the year.

I did this for the new clematis on the side of our garage. there's two on the first panel. More further down. You don't notice the wire.