Forum home The potting shed

Cookies

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Souh ManchesterPosts: 128
edited 14 October in The potting shed

I appreciate the need to accept cookies. These will save your log in details.

Every site you visit will attempt to put a cookie on your computer.

My bank put on about forty, Virgin media 18 and the several hobby message boards to which I subscribe less than 5 each. 

But many sites use them to track your internet searches.

So can anyone tell me why Gardeners' World need to put on 73?

Cookies are easy enough to delete. Before I close my laptop each night. I delete all but essential cookies.

I deleted those for Gardeners' World this morning and then logged in again. I see there's eighteen been loaded for them already.

"Just sayin'"

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,576
    edited 14 October
    Maybe a daft question, but have you clicked on "manage cookies" (right-hand end of the black strip near the bottom of the page) and rejected or objected all cookies? I don't know whether it stops all of them but it should stop some.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,904
    Just go into Privacy and ‘reject all’. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 266
    I use CCleaner every morning when i first switch on, and its amazing the amount of cookies that you accumulate on an average day.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Souh ManchesterPosts: 128
    Thanks for that.

I tried  "manage cookies" a while ago and it doesn't open.

I'm not that bothered, it's easy enough  to go into "manage data" in Firefox and delete a boatload of them, it only takes seconds.

I just wondered if everyone was aware of the situation, but I wanted to know why Gardeners' World  amongst so many message boards needed so many.
    I doubt whether anyone on the forum would know why there’s so many cookies on the site, maybe best taken up with Immediate Media.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,576
    I use CCleaner every morning when i first switch on, and its amazing the amount of cookies that you accumulate on an average day.

Sure is. I try to be vigilant about rejecting cookies but a lot still slip through.
    And the same goes for the kind of cookies that @Biglad was expecting :blush:
    Who can resist those big cookies that the SM’s sell, 4 for a pound. 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,025
    Biglad said:
    I was drawn in by the title of this thread and massively disappointed :D 
    Made me smile @Biglad I've not long made some Chocs - would one or two of those help mitigate your disappointment  :D
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,967
    I don’t believe I have ever knowingly deleted a cookie. My life is not imploding.