Forum home The potting shed

Need to over my garden front wall

hi hi can anyone help me I have a garden wall at front of my house about 2 ft tall I’m getting people sitting on it at all times now the local kids keep kicking the slaps off the top of the wall it looks a mess  so I would like to plant some shrubs round the wall to cover it over but I only want them to grow just a little more than the wall what can I use and how do I take cuttings at this time of year or do I have to wait for warmer weather thanks for any information on this 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,576
    I have Berberis "rose glow" in a similar sort of position. It doesn't get much more than a metre high here (on poor sandy soil). There are others with different leaf colours too. Shrubs can take a good while from cuttings though - young plants would establish and reach the desired size quicker.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 911
    Something prickly! Something like an Osmanthus or a prostrate juniper perhaps. Others will be along with recommendations shortly.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,904
    edited 14 October
    Berberis is good, I’ve got those right round the oil tank,  recommended  by a policeman, he said if it didn’t deter thieves they’d have  DNA to check. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Souh ManchesterPosts: 128
    edited 14 October
    The problem is that unless you buy well established plants possibly at considerable cost, (if you can find them), it'll be years before they are effective.

All the houses in our road, have these low curtilage walls.  Some neighbours sometimes actually sit on them to have conversations with people they know, who are passing by whilst they are in their front gardens!

But they are low enough for dogs, possibly but unlikely,  to jump over them.
    It's not a problem for us as we have these azaleas, a rhodo and a viburnum to do the job for us. We like them this high as they are a bit of a "privacy screen."

Our next door neighbours,  as have some others, had these wrought iron railings errected on top of the wall.
    It's an immediate alternative solution you might want to consider.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,721
    Rugosa hedging type not expensive or dog roses. You can hack them down to the Size you want. Pretty, lovely smell,and the kids won't want to sit on the bees either
  • thanks thanks for this looks lovely 
    I’ve never felt Azaleas very prickly,  our Berberis was up to 2’ in no time.
    Agree with @Nanny Beach. Rosa Rugosa is very prickly, pretty, useful to birds and has a long flowering period as well as hips for birds in the winter. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,721
    edited 14 October
    We've got both along our back fence just in case someone fancied climbing over.next door one side have big fir trees,kids used to climb in. The other side neighbour was gardening one time and this foreign chap was admiring his veg plot, neighbour politely 'can I help you" bloke said he "thought "it was for sale!! So you would scale the fence then eh. It's a long way from our properties,there is a grass area at the back,and slip road to garages for the next road. I forgot about the hips Lyn.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Souh ManchesterPosts: 128
    Lyn said:
    Agree with @Nanny Beach. Rosa Rugosa is very prickly, pretty, useful to birds and has a long flowering period as well as hips for birds in the winter. 

I think most are aware that azaleas aren't prickly. That was never my point.

But thanks for pointing that out.

Ours as I said are just a very dense screen.
    The point I was actually making, which I thought  clear enough, was that railings were practical "quick fix" alternative 
    Lyn said:

But thanks for pointing that out.

You’re welcome.