Forum home The potting shed

Autumn busyness

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,122
    Channeling my inner Clare Grogan for you, @Fairygirl
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,170
    Our Beech trees are bare, last to come, first to go. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    Horse chestnuts are always the first here @Lyn - to foliage up, and to lose it.
    They've all been slightly later than usual to turn this year though, due to the abnormally warm summer, and through September. The rowans were earlier than normal, but that was stress more than anything. Bizarre. 
    Thanks for the cheers folks. Just another day really though, but with cake   ;)

I'll get more stuff pruned and cleared today though, before the weather turns back to wet and windy tomorrow. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 264
    Lyn said:
    Our Beech trees are bare, last to come, first to go. 
    That's interesting, as the beech is usually the last here. Just now it's ash, 'mean with its green....' and birch, katsura and an acer ginnala 'Flame', the latter is always the first to turn colour and shed it's red, orange and yellow leaves.
    Beyond the garden the oaks are turning.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,170
    Over the past few weeks they’ve had to cut all the Ash trees down round here,  I haven’t got any in the garden just a frontage of Beech , but they are so old I think they’ve had it really.  I don’t know how it’s going over the woods, I’ll get OH to take stock of what’s still in leaf.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 338
    No rain for a week, so i'm actually watering newly planted trees in mid October!
    Sunny Dundee
    You need to move west @Balgay.Hill  ;)

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 338
    Fairygirl said:
    You need to move west @Balgay.Hill  ;)
    It's been a very strange year. Some things are just coming into flower now that should have been flowering in July. Many others that only flower once have flowered twice this year, and others haven't flowered at all. As you know, the east of Scotland is drier than the west, but i can't remember a year when i've watered so much. If this continues, i'm going to start planting tropical plants! :D
    Sunny Dundee
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,053
    Autumn? Hang on a second - my sunflowers are just starting to flower :o 
    @Balgay.Hill - some eastern areas have had more rain than usual, but the Kingdom of Fife is regularly one of the driest areas, as you well know. Hopefully, it will be more normal next year. They were even asking us to be careful with the amount of water we used over this side. An completely unknown situation in my lifetime.
    I hope it isn't going to be the pattern. I'm not designed for heat, and this watering malarkey is hard work  ;)
    Autumn starts in August here @Biglad - you can always feel the change in the air then. Not this year though. At least it saves on the heating - bearing in mind the s**fest that is just now.  :/
    Enjoy your sunflowers  :)