Forum home Plants

Rhus - the smallest ?

I know Rhus trees can be pruned but which variety is the smallest naturally?
Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,755
    I don't know the answer to your query, but bear in mind that Rhus typhina suckers like mad when pruned.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,274
    You could try Rhus aromatica.
    But suspect this is not what you had in mind.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,085
    Fairygirl said:
    I don't know the answer to your query, but bear in mind that Rhus typhina suckers like mad when pruned.  :)
    I concur. We had a nightmare with the ones we inherited. Nice visuals but should only ever be planted in a container IMHO. If you're going to have one you might was well compliment it with some Mares Tail and JKW!
  • Fairygirl said:
    Thanks re. your suckers comment. Much appreciated !
  • Thanks everyone - Rhus are out, I'll choose something equally effective but without the work !
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,092
    edited 13 October
    Rhus typhina "Tigers Eyes" is the smallest of the three commonly available varieties. It supposedly suckers far less, but I would possibly still plant in a pot or one of those fabric plant containers sunk in the ground. Restricting their roots like that will keep them smaller and they do actually seem pretty tolerant of it.

I'm am planting a couple of Rhus in my own garden, after a great deal of deliberating... They will have their roots contained