Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog rescue

GwenrGwenr KentPosts: 131
Got called out just after midnight to a very distressed lady whose dog had bought in a very young hedgehog. On arrival we searched the garden and found four more very small young hogs, very cold and not looking too good. We then discovered mum, who is very poorly, we were told the neighbours use a lot of slug pellets, so possibly mum has been poisoned. Bought them all back and gave them a check over, after some tlc they have all been dispatched for special care to the hog rescue centre. Needless to say I finally got to bed just after 3am and I was up again at 5am, so now feeling a bit trashed. Been told young hogs doing well, sadly mum not so good and may have to be put down. I so curse these slug pellets why do people use them when they cause death to other wildlife, is a plant or veg of more value than the life of a hedgehog.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,756
    Just as bad are the misguided folk who feed them mealworms. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Or bread and milk.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,361
    That's so sad about the Mum and hoglets, what a dreadful time they've had what with the dog attack  and possible poisoning of Mum. I must admit it doesn't sound too good if I'm honest. 
    These rescue centres do tremendous work, l have my fingers crossed. 

Is there a Hedgehog Street champion in the area who can obtain leaflets from the BHPS and put some through letterboxes in the immediate area ?
    Even if only one person reads it and takes action it's better than nothing.
    The only thing I would say is- don't make an assumption about your neighbour, unless you have absolute proof. That's very unfair. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,361
    @Fairygirl, l read the original post to mean that it was the neighbours in whose garden the hedgehog was found who were the ones using slug pellets. Hopefully @Gwenr will confirm and also give us an update 🦔. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,044
    It is possible to use slug pellets safely - eg under an upturned pot with just a tiny access hole and a brick or similar placed on top to stop any movement. Regular checking/clearing is advisable.
    I have used this method once or twice in the past whilst still having hedgehogs feeding and breeding in the garden.
    Indiscriminate scattering of pellets/using more than a few is not recommended and really rather pointless as well as destructive.
    Sadly, they aren't the only issue when it comes to gardening and wildlife.

I know what you mean @AnniD. I just felt it was a bit unfair to make an assumption and judge someone if the facts weren't determined. 
    I thought it was someone else who had found the hedgehog[s] and it was their neighbour who used a lot of pellets,  but  it was a bit ambiguous  :)

I think quite a few people use that method @philippasmith2 and it does work well.  :)

• GwenrGwenr KentPosts: 131
    AnniD said:
    @Fairygirl, l read the original post to mean that it was the neighbours in whose garden the hedgehog was found who were the ones using slug pellets. Hopefully @Gwenr will confirm and also give us an update 🦔. 
    Yes it was the neighbours next to the house were we retrieved the hogs from and the lady knew because her neighbour told her he uses slug pellets and isn't bothered about the hedgehogs.
    Fairygirl said:
    The only thing I would say is- don't make an assumption about your neighbour, unless you have absolute proof. That's very unfair. 
    You do like to jump on me every chance you get, have I said something awful to offend you?
    Some good news this evening.
    Hoglets are doing really well, eating well and much improved, far more active in the evening.
    All have been seen by the vet and mum has received two injections which are supposed to help with any poisoning and is showing a very slight improvement, but it is very early days and the vet said he will make a decision on Saturday at the latest if he thinks any further care is futile.
    The hoglet that was caught by the dog was not too badly hurt, fortunately having their spines at a very young age does give them some protection, I think the dog probably suffered a bit more than the hoglet. At least this late litter will survive the winter to be released next year, but as we have had so many mild Autumn days, there will be a great many late litters who will not survive. So can I ask everyone to keep vigilant and if you see any very small hogs, that look well under 1kg, they are going to need some help, so please contact your local rescue centre for advice, we really need to do our bit to help the dwindling population of our little friends.