Forum home Problem solving

Moving a Lemon Scented Cypress into a pot

Hi

About 5 years ago, I got a Lemon Scented Monterrey Cypress as part of a job lot of plants at a Christmas market. Stupidly, I planted it in my small front garden assuming it would not grow very much (there’s a variety which doesn’t, right?). Anyway, it’s not huge now but it has grown to 152cm, or just shy of 5ft, and I’m worried that if I leave it the roots might eventually start interfering with the garden wall or the house (both about a metre away).

Is it likely that the Cypress will survive being dug up and replanted in a decent size pot? And if so, how big a pot would I need? I have no idea how deep and wide the roots are likely to be.

Alternatively, can I keep the root system small by regularly pruning the tree, so it doesn’t get much higher than it is now? I have read they don’t like aggressive pruning but perhaps this is a better option?

Many thanks for your help!
T

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,158
    The roots are unlikely to damage a sound wall.  Assuming it is the variety goldcrest, you can gently shear over the tree to remove fresh growth only to keep it down in size.  Do not cut into brown wood as it will not regrow from brown wood.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • They'll probably survive if you get the compost/soil mix right. 
    I'm about to transplant two C. Goldcrest about the same size as yours into half whiskey barrels. 
    I'll use a mix of ericaceous compost, topsoil, grit, and garden compost plus a bit of iron sulphate.
  • The roots are unlikely to damage a sound wall.  Assuming it is the variety goldcrest, you can gently shear over the tree to remove fresh growth only to keep it down in size.  Do not cut into brown wood as it will not regrow from brown wood.
    Many thanks! That sounds like one good solution!
    I'm about to transplant two C. Goldcrest about the same size as yours into half whiskey barrels. 
    I'll use a mix of ericaceous compost, topsoil, grit, and garden compost plus a bit of iron sulphate.
    Interesting. Is this the best time of year to do it? I have read conflicting things about whether early Autumn or early Spring is best. I was going to just replant in compost and topsoil, but I will do some more research on that.
    Many thanks!
    Interesting. Is this the best time of year to do it? I have read conflicting things about whether early Autumn or early Spring is best. I was going to just replant in compost and topsoil, but I will do some more research on that.
    Many thanks!
    Now would be fine I'd suggest.
    I should have pointed out that they are likely to be in the barrels for a couple of years - if not longer - hence the mix I'm using. The proportions tend to be very hit-n-miss but the topsoil & grit is probably about 15% each - I tend to mix container stuff on the basis of how it feels in my hands..probably not the accepted method but it seems to work for me.