Forum home Problem solving

Black leaves on Bougainvillea

I am looking after a Bougainvillea for a friend who is on holiday, I have had it for 6 days and it is in my Conservatory and I have not watered it as yet as the soil still feels damp but it is showing some of the new leaves are black has anyone got any ideas please?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
    I wonder if it got too cold? They really aren't hardy for the UK climate. Maybe add a photo to help us out. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • grouchergroucher Posts: 23

This is only 2 pictures as I have removed some of the leaves that where either dead or fallen off.  The plant is in my conservatory which is kept at 22 degrees.  I also have two other Bougainvillea one which was purchased at the same time and is behind the next picture and the other is huge and I have no problem with either of my ones.

Sorry not too good at loading photo's I will try better next time.  Both of my plants are ok and have not given me concern.  I was wondering if it was overwatered and now it is taking a long time to dry out??
  • luis_prluis_pr Hurst, Texas Zone 8aPosts: 121
    Any chance that the bottom of the pot is waterlogged?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,883
    Was it a cold day when you moved it from your friend's home to yours? I'm guessing it had to be outside at some point in the process. Or it could have got cold at your friend's home shortly before it came to stay with you, if their conservatory isn't as warm as yours. Another possibility is that it might have taken some physical damage while being moved around.

Thanks for all your replies, Luis_pr  Good idea I will check tomorrow thanks
    Jennyj  Sounds more feasible as it did lose 2 extensions during transit.  I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.  Thanks again