Forum home Problem solving

Slow growing Ivy

I heard that ivy is fast growing and invasive, but I have been nursing a couple of ivy plants and cuttings inside and outside and they scarcely seem to be growing. Any tips to give them a gee up? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,154
    They take a while to get going as they're establishing root systems, but then stand back....
    Cuttings will take a year or two to establish and be of any size. It also depends on the variety.
    They certainly don't need to be inside though. Ivy of all kinds is hardy.  A few types can suffer a little in very severe winters, but unless you're in a much colder area than me, it's unlikely you'd have a problem. :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• How do I kill persistent ivy which is choking a hawthorn hedge?
  • Follow the Ivy stems back to base and then dig out. Make sure you pull up any trailers before they have chance to root.  If that isn't feasible, cut back but leave some green growth.  Scour the leaves and apply a weedkiller ensuring you don't touch the hawthorn.  It's often a good idea to apply the chemical and then wrap in a plastic bag or similar and leave the chemical to work down to the roots.
    If you don't like the idea of chemicals . you could just try and restrict the Ivy - it is actually a useful plant for wildlife when mature - a food source for insects and birds and a safe haven for many.