Forum home Wildlife gardening

Fiona

2»

• Red mapleRed maple Posts: 235
    Thank you for posting all those lovely pictures and commentary. Really cheered me up.
    What a privilege to witness such a wonderful event in your garden.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Souh ManchesterPosts: 345
    edited 17 October
    Red maple said:
    Thank you for posting all those lovely pictures and commentary. Really cheered me up.
    What a privilege to witness such a wonderful event in your garden.

You are more than welcome.

it's been a bit grim weatherwise today, i'm watching the American football on TV, over the top of my laptop.
    I enjoy sharing experiences and "how to" advice which might be of interest to some.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 139
    Thank you for posting your foxy story Doghouse Riley, I enjoyed reading about them. I'd guess that you felt quite privileged that she chose you and your garden to rear her cubs. 
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Souh ManchesterPosts: 345
    Uff said:
    Thank you for posting your foxy story Doghouse Riley, I enjoyed reading about them. I'd guess that you felt quite privileged that she chose you and your garden to rear her cubs. 
    Thanks for that

I don't think many of our neighbours would feel privilaged!
    Foxes get a "bad press."

Over the years we've had foxes regularly visiting our garden and that of our neighbours. There's a road parallel to ours behind us the houses of which with gardens of a similar length, so there's a big area for them to explore, six foot fences are no barrier to them.

My trail camera picked this one up in May this year, looking a bit careworn, it wasn't Fiona  and unlikely to be any of "our" cubs as they don't usually return to their old den. Might have been a once only visit, but as I usually have the camera trained on the patio at the top end of the garden. It may have been again.

Fiona was very intelligent. She would be aware that we had no children using the garden, it was totally enclosed by high fences and there was access to a suitable safe place to use as a den. As I mentioned earlier, she'd spent several days "sussing us out," by standing on the patio  about fifteen feet from our French windows and seeing what was our reaction, wehich was none.