Forum home Fruit & veg

Carrot fly

Can I safely compost the affected carrots or will it make them reproduce for next year?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    They can remain in plants/roots etc, so probably best not to, unless you take measures to kill everything off.  :)  
    It's always advisable to grow them next year in a new position too, in case there's anything remaining in the soil.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• detsnpowderdetsnpowder Annesley NottinghamPosts: 14
    I have finally (almost ) beaten 'carrot fly' by using a raised bed for the carrots.
  • The best way to stop carrot fly is to grow garlic with them.  Garlic is never troubled by insects,  they can't stand it. 
  • Thanks to you all for the good advice.  This was the first time I’ve grown carrots and although most of them were successful I’ve got a lot to learn!
    You need a physical barrier to prevent carrot fly. A raised bed will certainly help as they don't fly above approx. 18 inches to 2 feet. Or you can use canes and netting or something similar.   :)

Remember that they don't like rich soil either, so old compost that is healthy is ideal   :)

• We grew all our carrots in old, enamelled, full sized baths on legs this year. Filled them with a mix of poor soil and builders sand. They were too high for the carrot fly and I have been harvesting the best carrots I've ever grown.
    Yes - it's getting the height that's important  :)
    Sprays of any kind do nothing.