Forum home Plants

Young Eucalyptus Gunnii - Coppicing

Hello, I've got a young eucalyptus gunnii in my garden which is probably around a year old, maybe less.  It has one main stem.  I'm thinking of coppicing it as a way of keeping it under control as a multi stemmed bush.  My concern is that at the moment there is just one main trunk, maybe 5 cm in diameter.  If I coppice it in this instance do I simply chop the whole tree down?  Should I wait another year?  Total novice so thanks in advance for your advice!

• You could, if you want to, cut it back to about 18 inches then pick a healthy main stem and cut off all the other branches till it grows to the height your happy with. Then trim off the leader. E Gunnii are bombproof and will regrow (very quickly) from most pruning - good or bad. I luv 'em!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    I'd take the main leader out - in spring though, not just now, so that you have around half the height it is now. It seems to have plenty of growth low down, so that would grow up and out. 
    They're usually better coppiced, unless you have a very, very large space for them  ;)

You also get better foliage colour if they're cut back each year. It's the young foliage that has the best colour, rather than the mature stuff. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,471
    Hi, I agree with @Fairygirl, coppice your tree in late February/early March just before it starts actively growing, at the height suggested.  You will not only get better leaf colour but the juvenile leaves also have a round, more attractive shape.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.