Forum home Problem solving

Muscari

Evening,

The Muscari bulbs I planted in the grass a couple of weeks ago have sprouted up unexpectedly. Am I ok to give the area a last mow for the year or will that badly affect the Muscari?

Thanks.

• Does the grass really need a mow?
    I would be inclined to not mow to give the bulbs time to produce their leaves and then to flowers later on.
    Some of our bulbs are showing growth as they do this time of the year and then slow down.
    Maybe others will have a different view.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,510
    This is the trouble with planting bulbs in the grass, as bm said, they need the leaves, and they will need them to feed the bulbs again next year after they’ve flowered.
    to look after the bulbs as they should be, you shouldn’t really cut the grass again until probably April time or when the leaves have turned yellow and died right down. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119
    I'd say the same. It can be a problem with mowing - especially if conditions suit a bulb, and it perhaps grows a bit early, or a bit late, but the grass has also grown.
    The only thing you can do is leave the areas around the bulbs if you need to do the grass. The problem will be there again in spring though, because you risk the grass swamping the flowers on them. You might have to get the scissors out  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....