Forum home Problem solving

Problem with Cercis

My neighbour has tall Eleagnus Ebbingei which suffered die back and now my Cercis right next to the fence has branches dying back. It doesn't look very hopeful - is this Verticellium Wilt? Is there any hope for it?
Thanks
Nigel

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    The most likely is not enough water.  Cercis can 'self prune' in drought conditions by cutting sap supply to some branches but not others.  If you cut through a dead branch at an angle, look for any brown or black streaks which would indicate diseases like verticillium wilt.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi Bob thanks for the response. One of the photos shows a cut through a branch and it looks to me like there are brown rings in it. We've have a pretty wet summer here on the whole so I'd be surprised if it was drought - previous years have been much drier and it's been fine though those.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,628
    It does look likely to be VW, judging by the dieback and the concentric brown rings. 

Bad news. If you're looking for a replacement, Cercidophyllum japonicum is VW resistant. The variety 'Boyd's Dwarf' would look similar to your Cercis.
  • Thanks Loxley, VW is what I suspect.  It's incredibly annoying as I grew this Cercis from seed. I might try cutting out everything thats died back and feed it, but not holding out much hope. Thats a great suggestion for a replacement if it comes to that - I didn't know about the dwarf Cercidophyllum.
    nigel