Forum home Garden design

Yellow flowers in borders a no-no?

mathewdavidbrownmathewdavidbrown CambridgeshirePosts: 35
edited October 2021 in Garden design
Hi all. My garden heck of the week:

I've seen it mentioned that yellow flowers are to be avoided in borders. Of course people will tell me to use whatever flowers I like and rules be damned, and trust me, my potentilla 'Golden Punch' aren't going anywhere. I'm just fascinated by design lore and what makes certain gardens look special. Any thoughts on this trope much appreciated. 

Thanks

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    edited October 2021
    Eh, what? There's nowt wrong with yellow, but possibly it's best if you think about what's next to it.
    For myself, I like yellow with blues and purples but I don't like yellow with pink, red or  orange. But I do like strong magenta pink with red and with deep reddish-oranges. Everyone's taste is different :D .
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294
    it's YOUR garden. YOU make up the rules. 
    I LOVE yellow flowers
    Devon.
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 611
    Sometimes you think you're getting one colour and you get something else anyway! I bought a pink rose that is actually yellow!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294
    I've long since wanted a border of yellows, blues and whites.
    Devon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,029
    Plant whatever you like. It's your garden. If the colour mix doesn't appeal, you can always change it. I avoid pale lilac colours, that's my choice
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • My best looking border is mostly yellow. I has solidago fireworks, rudbeckia and willow leaf helianthus out at the moment but had cloth of gold achillea (about 20 plants) and various sunflower varieties at their best a few weeks ago.
    Now it might not appeal to garden designers but then most of their designs don't appeal to me much.   
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,737
    You can have yellow in your borders every month, if you like it, as the following GW article details: Plants with Yellow Flowers - BBC Gardeners' World Magazine (gardenersworld.com).  As others have said, it's really down to personal taste.  For me, it's the colour of Spring, with daffodils providing much needed cheer after winter.  Then, it's no more yellow in my borders until late summer/early autumn, when rudbeckias provide the same cheery yellow as daffodils. This is the only yellow I like - I have no time for pale yellows and I really dislike that electric yellow seen in those mini dahlias bred for containers which shout far too loudly! 
  • mathewdavidbrownmathewdavidbrown CambridgeshirePosts: 35
    edited October 2021
    My yellow potentilla look great surrounded by burgundy and magenta, and as I've said, they're staying in my borders. I'm just investigating a mantra I hear bandied about that yellow doesn't work in mixed borders. I'm fascinated by design principles, that's all. Some have merit, some don't.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    I think what can cause difficulty is that some gardeners do not differentiate between a warm yellow and a cool yellow ... they can have different effects on the colours around them.   

Folk seem to 'get' the difference between warm blues and cool blues, and the same with pinks ... but it seems that many gardeners just see 'yellow' as yellow.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh