Forum home The potting shed

carniverous plants

Does anyone know about potting on carniverous plants ? How can I tell,several of mie have roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,025
    Which ones do you have and where do you keep them ?
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,397
    Hello Jenn and welcome to the forum.
    Different types need different conditions so you should find that - whichever type you have - there is useful information here.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • jennsmithjennsmith Posts: 8
    Thank you so much😊
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,397
    You are most welcome.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,118
    As @philippasmith2 said...which ones do you have and where do you keep them?
    They can need different composts and situations.
    Some can survive outdoors all year round, whilst others can't.
    The sundews and butterworts (Pinguicula) need a very different compost to that of the Sarracenias.
    We divide our Sarracenias and Darlingtonias in early Spring but the butterworts and sundews are left for many years without dividing or changing the compost.
    Wonderful plants to have and worth making sure you get the correct composts.
    I have a sun dew..a drosera...and a sarracentia...I've only had them a few months ,I keep them indoors on the window sill.I wonder if I should put them in an unheated greenhouse in the winter,some information says it's ok but I don't want to loose them. 2 of them are in very small pots.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,118
    I wouldn't. If you have had them indoors I feel it is better to keep them there.
    Are the pots sitting in rain water?
    Our plants started on our kitchen window sill and whilst we still have some there others have gone into our conservatory (not heated) and the Darlingtonias planted out in a bog garden.
    The sun dews are great at getting those pesky fruit,peat flies and your Sarracenia will be great for the bigger flies.
    Put some photos up (if you can) so that we can see how big there are now.
    Thank you soo much for all that information, I will send you some photos tomorrow (if I can work out how to do that )
  • AthelasAthelas Posts: 398
    Hi @jennsmith, just click on the “mountain icon” to upload a photo.

it must be less than 6 MB in size, and if it’s in portrait (as opposed to landscape) orientation, crop it a bit so it will appear right side up.