Forum home Problem solving

What is this ?

Hello,
I have the tree in the middle of the garden, cherry blossom, I’m not sure
As in photo, this has been growing at the base, I ask is this dangerous, has the tree come to the end of its life ?
Any help gladly appreciated

• It's a bracket fungus. Usually it appears when the tree is struggling.
    Sunny Dundee
  • many thanks for your advice
    The woodpecker has also had a good time on many of the branches
    Time to get a tree surgeon and remove I think
    thanks again 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,746
    It’s not a very elegant tree, is it? The tree surgeon might be able to advise how to improve its shape as it would be a pity to lose the woodpeckers from your garden.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,195
    I expect it's one of those situations where it's been pruned to keep it fitting the space, or something similar @BenCotto.
    Hopefully, a good tree surgeon will be able to do something useful though @johncleme65  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• As others have said, the tree may not need to be removed. A tree can survive for years with bracket fungus on them.  I would only remove it if there was a risk to property if it toppled.
    Sunny Dundee
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,481
    As others have said, the tree may not need to be removed. A tree can survive for years with bracket fungus on them.  I would only remove it if there was a risk to property if it toppled.
    I agree …. lots of info here about the huge value to wildlife and the ecosystem of decaying trees and log piles. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thanks thanks for all your info
    its got to go, I have small dogs and children and not prepared to leave it
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,481
    Completely understood :) ... you won't want to risk it falling ... but a log pile will be perfect and the children will be fascinated by the wildlife that make it their home. 

Either a big one like here 

or something more 'child-sized' https://rainydaymum.co.uk/wildlife-gardening-log-pile-home/

:)  🦋
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh