Forum home The potting shed

When is it safe to leave the window open at night?

B3B3 Posts: 18,969
Safe from biters, not burglars!
In London. Keen but lazy.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,297
    Vampires?
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,969
    Do they cause itchiness?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,927
    Depends where you live and how warm your house is! In Norfolk our bedroom window is open all the time and we never get bitten. In France it's shut in the day to keep cooler in summer and summer can be awkward because moths and other insects are attracted to the light when we are reading in bed and fly in. In winter when it's cold the French window is shut, don't want to waste the electric heating. Norfolk bedroom is warmer than the French one in winter.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 208
    Yes, @B3, you'll be itching to bite someone in the neck......

It's gnat season here.....
    I once got 13 bites on my thermostat leg poked out from under the duvet. I'm not risking it again.
    First frost? When the clocks go back? Halloween?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,904
    Gnat time. = Skin so soft by Avon.  It works for me. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,297
    Burglars are worse you can swat gnats or use an electric mosquito repellent burglars are far nastier pests.
    I have a few bottles of the stuff @Lyn . I know it works but I don't fancy wearing it to bed.
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 208
    It never ceases to amaze me when after a frost, as the sun comes over the hill, it highlights the gnats and other insects dancing around in the warming air. It makes me wonder how cold it needs to be overnight to kill these tiny creatures. They certainly stay around a lot longer than I would have expected them to, but the swallows are long gone. Bats are still out at dusk, but are the gnats sheltering by then?