Forum home Plants

Eucomis bicolour

pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193
I have these growing in a trough.  It started with three and with benign neglect for a few years,  this year I have had a wonderful display of 13.  Unsurprisingly, the trough is a bit crowded.
When would be a good time to lift them and repot with a bit more space for the bulbs?  I am minded to do it in the spring, just as they are coming back into growth, but I would appreciate any advice as to whether or not now would be better.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    remember that the roots start to grow before the top does. so maybe start earlier than you might think is right
    Devon.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 797
    I was given two bulbs last Autumn and basically didn’t have a clue what to do with them. I potted them up leaving the neck exposed. They sat in my unheated greenhouse all winter. Came into growth in the Spring ( big hurrah) and have flowered, I left the pots outdoors over the summer . I’m in NE England and not sure I have a suitable spot to plant them outdoors so I think I’ll just pot them on next Spring. 
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193
    Thanks for your thoughts on the problem.  I think it will be wisest to leave them until late winter/early spring.  They have survived without problems outside, summer and winter, but then it's a bit warmer here in Devon than it is in the NE!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,891
    I'd definitely bring them in over winter @Bilje. They aren't anywhere near hardy here, so I doubt they'd survive with you without protection.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...