Forum home Problem solving

what do to with echiums

adeeeadeee Posts: 3
edited October 2021 in Problem solving
HI,   I have a few Echium pininana in the garden  which i grew from seed early in 2021  and planted out this year,  Wondering whether i should  dig them up and put in pots in the house for the winter? or will they survive where they are ? .  I am in bromley kent.   cheers dave

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,854
    I think they'd be better off left alone
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,819
    Mine  (originally arrived here as a seedling from Cornwall) survived two winters in the garden here in Norfolk before flowering this year.  I'd leave well alone.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• adeeeadeee Posts: 3
    that's  good to know,  thank you  for your replies.  
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,835
    @adeee I have four or five very similar to yours but much bigger which had self seeded from the main plant I had a couple of years ago. There is no way I could possibly move them so have my fingers crossed that they will survive the winter and hopefully flower next year. Just love to see them in flower covered in bees. 
  • I've got 3 of these to get through winter but they're in pots as only little'uns at the mo so hopefully ok if I keep under shelter. I knew they got to massive heights which is partly why I chose them, but on since looking at the size of a full grown one's footprint, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! Not sure where I'll find the space!
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,835
    @Crazybeelady Hopefully yours will grow bigger whilst they are in the pots but don't give up on them. I know they grow big but going upwards rather than sideways. If you have plants nearby you can always take off a few bottom leaves of the echium which wouldn't notice. You will be well pleased with them when they are mature.  :)
  • Thanks @Fran IOM I will put them in the ground next year and I know I'll need to get them through a 2nd winter before any flowers. Good suggestion on removing some bottom leaves.
    Another worry I have is that my husband wants to move house soon - I'm going to have to put him off until they've flowered  :D