Forum home Problem solving

what do to with echiums

adeeeadeee Posts: 3
edited October 2021 in Problem solving
HI,   I have a few Echium pininana in the garden  which i grew from seed early in 2021  and planted out this year,  Wondering whether i should  dig them up and put in pots in the house for the winter? or will they survive where they are ? .  I am in bromley kent.   cheers dave

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,364
    I think they'd be better off left alone
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310
    Mine  (originally arrived here as a seedling from Cornwall) survived two winters in the garden here in Norfolk before flowering this year.  I'd leave well alone.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• adeeeadeee Posts: 3
    that's  good to know,  thank you  for your replies.  
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,943
    @adeee I have four or five very similar to yours but much bigger which had self seeded from the main plant I had a couple of years ago. There is no way I could possibly move them so have my fingers crossed that they will survive the winter and hopefully flower next year. Just love to see them in flower covered in bees. 
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 501
    I've got 3 of these to get through winter but they're in pots as only little'uns at the mo so hopefully ok if I keep under shelter. I knew they got to massive heights which is partly why I chose them, but on since looking at the size of a full grown one's footprint, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! Not sure where I'll find the space!
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,943
    @Crazybeelady Hopefully yours will grow bigger whilst they are in the pots but don't give up on them. I know they grow big but going upwards rather than sideways. If you have plants nearby you can always take off a few bottom leaves of the echium which wouldn't notice. You will be well pleased with them when they are mature.  :)
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 501
    Thanks @Fran IOM I will put them in the ground next year and I know I'll need to get them through a 2nd winter before any flowers. Good suggestion on removing some bottom leaves.
    Another worry I have is that my husband wants to move house soon - I'm going to have to put him off until they've flowered  :D