Forum home Problem solving

Laurel

My laurel is very old and large. Though upto now pruned and growing lovely. However this year it has what I think is mildew although it is all over the branches too the leaves haven’t died or dropped off and it doesn’t seem to resemble other pictures of the mildew problem. What should I do? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Can you provide a photo? IT's difficult to offer accurate advice without seeing it   :)
    What type of laurel is it?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Not sure of the laurel suffice to say it is green and yellow not spotted 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    We'd need to see what it looks like.
    Laurel doesn't tend to get much in the way of pests and diseases. Shot hole is quite common in cherry laurel, but it isn't usually terminal. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,395
    Not sure of the laurel suffice to say it is green and yellow not spotted 
    yellow and green , as in variegated? ( like holly? ) 
    Devon.
  • No it has mostly green leaves but other parts are yellow leaves 
  • this is it when healthy
  • This is it now
  • And I say it is a laurel because it is so similar to other laurels I have had leaf structure etc but it might not be 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I think that's a Euonymus, and the problem might be euonymus scale. Have a look at this https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=%20798 and see if you think it matches.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,079
    I agree.
    I have a small hedge of euonymus and it often gets it badly and looks like yours.
    Fortunately it can't easily be seen so I don't look in that direction when I'm passing :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.