Forum home Problem solving

Transplanting 70 metres of hedge, help!

We need to take away 70 metres of hedge, moving the boundary 10 metres into the field. We can either pull out the hedge and plant a new one or try moving the existing hedge. I don't even know if moving a hedge is possible or if taking cuttings from the hedge would work?  Is it better to pull it out and start from scratch? Thank you! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    I'd plant a new one. We're into bare root hedging season now, so it's fairly inexpensive.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CharlotteFCharlotteF East Surrey, UKPosts: 337
    How soon does it need to be done? I'm sure you could take cuttings for your new hedge, but I think moving the existing plants would be next to impossible to be honest.

We're almost in bare root season so if it needs to be planted in a hurry it's not a bad time for buying new plants at least. 
  • Wren10Wren10 Posts: 8
    Thank you, it needs to be done in January. Sounds like planting a new one is the best option. Is January to late to plant a new hedge, am I better waiting until spring? 
    No - anything bare root can be bought and planted up until around March. It gives you time to prep the new area too.  If you ait until spring you won't get bare root, and potted plants are much more expensive.
    If you can't plant at that time, it's still possible to just heel in whips and do it later. I've done that many times. 
    You'd be waiting years if you took cuttings.  :)

• CharlotteFCharlotteF East Surrey, UKPosts: 337
    January is ideal for young bare root whips. Does the field contain livestock? I see an electric fence I think? The new hedge is going to take some years to become a full barrier. 
    Great, I will plan for getting it all done in January. Thank you so much for your help, I'm clueless! I didnt even know about planting bare root balls, learning as I go. No livestock will be in the field for a few years. The field is a recent purchase so has cows in atm. If we plant a bare root hedge how long does it take for it to grow big enough to become a full barrier again, it will probably be a mixed hedge but mainly hawthorn.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,748
    I have used this company before and been impressed. A double width hedgerow will cost £320 which I think is reasonable. They’ll be able to answer authoritatively your question about full effectiveness.

https://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10798.html
    Thank you, I will take a look. That sounds like really good value. Do I need to plant as soon as they are delivered? 
    A few years will see a good result with hawthorn - assuming you prep a good border first, plant densely enough, and make sure it's watered well until established. Keep a good clear space either side to prevent competition from grass/weeds.

Hopes Grove nursery is also excellent, and many people here have used Hedges Direct.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,599
    My OH did this on his farm,  a JCB to dig the new trench then scoop out the plants bit by bit and drop them in the trench,  you’ll be left with a big trench where you removed them so back fill with what came out of the new trench.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.