Forum home Fruit & veg

What veg can I sow now?

For the first time this year I grew my own veg and have become bitten by the bug - there are few more pleasures in life than having my own constant supply of courgettes and cucumbers!

Is there anything I can sow now? I'm moving house in the early Spring so ideally something I could grow in pots...

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,783
    I suggest you start some cut and come again salad greens on a sunny indoor windowsill.  You can also start some pea shoots too.  Buy some green onions and cut off all but the bottom three inches, and put them in a glass of water until the roots grow out a bit, then put them in a pot of soil on the windowsill.  
    Utah, USA.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,185
    Garlic.
  • spinach
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,413
    Most seeds or plugs planted now are for harvesting in late spring at best or early summer so go for quick crops such as cut and come again salads, Chinese greens such as Pak Choi, radishes and have a go at rocket if your garden is sheltered and you can put nets over your beds for extra protection.

Garlic and onions planted now as cloves or sets won't be ready till mid summer but you could probably get away with spring onions from seed in a window box to lift them above ground frost level or follow @Blue Onion's suggestion.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 851
    Last week I bought two trays of Purple Sprouting Broccolli in our local market.  One, as Obelixx says, are due to crop in spring but the others are for December use.  I planted them straight into the garden so, if they do what the young lady on the stall said (she's usually reliable), they could be useful to you before you move.