Forum home Problem solving

MS Explorer shut down

nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,089
This Forum has been amongst my 'Favourites' on MS Explorer since joining, but now freezes when I try to log on.  I can do so on Google, which is inconvenient, but do we know of a reason for it?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,336
    edited October 2021
    I use Chrome and I have no problems at all.
    I though Explorere was shut down years ago. but I know nothing. 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122
    It's certainly a fairly outdated server. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,438
    Internet Explorer was 'retired' on August 17th this year but Microsoft will support it for one more year. With the release of Windows 11 today, there may be more glitches. They are advising the use of Edge so it might be worth you downloading Edge or as Hosta advises you could try Chrome. I personally use Firefox which does its job without too much trouble.
    If your device is recent and running Windows 10, you will be able to download Windows 11 - its free.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,046
    edited October 2021
    You could try deleting your IE Cache first and see if that does it
    If that doesn't help then try deleting your Cookies
    It's often these things that can cause login problems

PS- best to reboot after doing the above before seeing if it's helped.
    You can import your favourites into Chrome or any other browser so you dont' loose them
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 499
    edited October 2021
    I thought it was killed off last year, but I think that's when they announced it - Google says it will officially die on June 15 2022.  You need to get yourself on another browser, why is Google inconvenient?  Just bookmark GW on Chrome (after setting it as your default browser).
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,089
    Firstly, thanks all.  Since becoming a PC user I've worked with the MS group of software, i.e. Explorer, Outlook, Excel and Word, with the occasional diversion into Google Earth.  I'm told by some that MS is obsolete so, when my son bought me a Chrome Book for my birthday, I was faced with the spectre of converting/transferring mountains of documents (I write quite a lot) from my PC to the new machine.  Chatting to a local computer shop, and mentioning the MS rumours, he said that they were 'still the default software', as much as to say I didn't need to change.  The word that's guaranteed to send me into panic mode is 'just', as it's usually followed by suggestions in terms I don't remotely understand.  It's 'inconvenient' because accessing this Forum now requires a special non-standard set of clicks - but I can handle it.  Thanks for trying anyway.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,731
    edited October 2021
    MicroSoft most certainly is not obsolete, but the versions you are using might be.

Try downloading Edge to your PC , which is their replacement for Explorer
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge?form=MI13F3&OCID=MI13F3

Or download Chrome or Firefox on your PC
  • KiliKili Posts: 899
    edited October 2021
    Whilst were talking about PC's and Windows here's a link to download Microsoft's Windows 10 to 11 upgrade check tool for anyone interested.

Just tested with tool and my 10 year old Dell wont cut the mustard so will hang on to it until support for Windows 10 ends in October 25.

A nice SSD drive certainly makes my old PC fly and will do so for another 4 years methinks.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,438
    Thanks for that link @Kili. I'm pleased to say that my laptop meets all the requirements so that is good news for me. I understand that this first download is not the full package and that more downloads will become available next year.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • KiliKili Posts: 899
    Ladybird4 said:
    Thanks for that link @Kili. I'm pleased to say that my laptop meets all the requirements so that is good news for me. I understand that this first download is not the full package and that more downloads will become available next year.

@Ladybird4

When I was working in IT we would never upgrade to the latest O/S until at least a year after release until we could see how the release played out in the wild.

Personally I would wait a year before upgrading anyway.
    Bug testing completely before deployment is almost impossible. Until Windows 11 has been deployed to the masses, ( millions of testers) and has been in the field for a while reports start coming back of issues and then the fixes are sent out. Usually every Tuesday of each month.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'