Forum home The potting shed

Trough planter straight on top of turf?

I have just purchased a trough planter, (50Hx50Wx265) and would like to place it in an area that is currently turfed.  Is it ok to go straight on top of the turf or should I be putting down some form of base layer to support the weight?  Maybe some concrete slabs or a hardcore layer?

Many Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,614
    edited 5 October
    Hello @jim99 and welcome. Can we see a photo of the planter please?  There are many types. 

To upload a photo click on the little landscape icon and follow the instructions. If it doesn’t upload reducing the size usually sorts it. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Jim99Jim99 Posts: 6
    edited 5 October
    Thanks for the reply. Photo attached, hope this helps.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 911
    edited 5 October
    Ooh - lots of possibilities with that handsome looking planter!  I have a stone urn that I wanted on the lawn.  I simply put some bricks down, same size as the base, and popped it (I say popped - it is bloomin' heavy) on top of those.  Not worried about the grass under it being killed but forgot that the mower wouldn't get close to the base so I have to hand clip the grass around it.  Or I just leave it...
    The bench is on grass and we pull it out to mow under it.   

Bricks is a good idea, far less work than laying big heavy slabs!  I could probably put a ring of bricks down to support the circumference of the planter.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,586
    It would need raised up off the ground, but anything will do - bits of wood etc. You only need one at each end and one or two in the middle - across the width  :)
    The only problem is that it'll affect your grass.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

How far would it need raising? The floor inside the planter is raised a few inches off the ground, so do you think I would be ok to position it flush with the top of the turf? I.e. enough so it's not sinking into the soil.
    Just a couple of inches- it's only to allow enough room for excess water to drain. 
    You don't want anything acting as a wick either, drawing up moisture from the grass as well.

Is there a reason you want it on the grass? It's quite unusual to do that. 

Ah good point about moisture wicking!

Only because it suits the layout of my garden, there's a blank wall that I'd like to cover. I knew it would give me additional issues to resolve but I'm ok with that 🙂
    I just wondered, that's all @Jim99  :)
    Err on the side of caution  ;)

Oh no problem, thanks for your help 🙂