Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond opportunity!

2»

• dangermousiedangermousie BerkshirePosts: 221
    I read up a LOT, and gave up :D decided to give the trees back their soil instead
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,171
    The problem with having them in shady areas that are shaded because of trees, is as I said earlier - foliage dropping.  Partial shade is ok, but it can become very sludgy if it's small. A small pond in a shady area can be a nightmare. Bigger ponds can manage more easily because there's room for a good variety of environments.
    A natural pond forming in woodland is different from something man made. A totally different environment, and attracts totally different wildlife. Most people want their ponds to be decorative as well as useful. Blanket weed is pretty standard as water warms up, but that's where the correct planting makes the difference.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dangermousiedangermousie BerkshirePosts: 221
    Hi @Hostafan1
    We thought of that too, but for the effect to work we would have had to dig more underneath to put in some sort of wall to stop the edges from caving in. It just became too complicated. But, there's always next year when things settle down :) I have yet to decide what permament surface the path and connected seating area will have too, which could also impact how the faux-bridge-over-pond would be implemented. 

Thank you!