Forum home Plants

Keeping lavenders in pots over winter

13»

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Fairygirl said:

I'm smiling at the idea of Aberdeen being the snowiest place in Scotland. It really isn't.  :)
    But you do have the best summers? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Well - we did, in the west, this year - if you like that horrible heat @Lyn :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,961
    edited October 2021
    Braemar is certainly the coldest place I have stayed, one August it got down to minus 5C overnight, bloody freezing starting the walk the next morning.

I certainly wouldn't be planting Lavender plugs out now, and would never plant them out in JI compost, it really isn't the best draining medium.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Lavenders thrive on poorer dryer soil. They don’t do well for me here, Rich, manured, wet and acidic, which is why I treat them near enough as annuals.  Shouldn’t grow them at all really, I know you should choose plants that suit your soil and weather situation but every year I sow them because I like them.
    If she wants to grow them in Compost with added JI, then go ahead. Why should we worry about her plugs. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I don't think people realise that, in many parts of Scotland, there are no months when you can't have frosts @punkdoc ;)
    Kingussie, Aviemore, Drumochter - anywhere north of Glencoe  etc - all have serious snow, even in average winters, but that area around Braemar is always cold. 

• 48 large plugs potted in mix GC, grit and sharp sand & safely on the shelves in the drafty greenhouse. What's the watering regime over winter?
    Just keep them ticking over @SamBevington. They'll need practically nothing.  :)
    You'll just need to check on them regularly, and give them a very light watering if necessary. Ventilation too. 
    If you're worried you can ask for any extra advice with them, but they should be quite happy.  :)

• Thanks 😊