Forum home Plants

Keeping lavenders in pots over winter

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Ideal @JessicaS. A sensible method. Wet cold is always the problem  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295
    I'm able to grow lavender here @Fairygirl, but only in pots which I bring into an unheated greenhouse for winter to keep dry. 

I've moved them in earlier this week, as it's now getting wet and cool here.
    I've given them a "severe malky" of a haircut .... including into the brown wood.
    The books say not to do this, but I find they grow back compact and bushy in the spring. I do lose the odd one ... but I've got lots so I'm not bothered.

Rules are sometimes there to be broken.

Bee x
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Wet and windy here is the problem too.  Last year it was very cold, ground frozen to 4” down.
    The  year before the ice on the pond was 4” thick. 
    I’m lucky to survive what I have. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Yes - that's the problem @Bee witched. Wet cold. Bigger plants like @LeadFarmer's will be fine.  :)
    It reached 11 degrees here today, with winds over 30mph, and rain and hail most of the day. The ground temps are generally 2 degrees below the air temp, and for large parts of the night, and often daytime, have been mostly in single figs during  the last fortnight. It's been extremely mild for the time of year here until this week  :)

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 1,957
    I always left mine outside but tucked up against the wall in winter. 

I’ve still got two that I bought three years ago and they’ve been through the Beast from the East as well as last year’s week long freeze that we had here. 

Give them a bit of shelter and they’ll be fine at that size. 
  • Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited October 2021
    > My conditions are  ever so slightly different from the south coast of England
    > though, as are many other people's. They would never survive winter here   

I have lived and worked in Preston, the rainiest place I have ever lived.  People called it "Depreston" for never stopping rain there.  And I have lived and worked in Aberdeen which must be the snowiest place in the country, but with nice summers. (At times I have to do 6 to 12 month contracts in places for my work and I get to travel around and live places short term.) 

You have to pick plants that love it where it is.  My beautiful powder blue Bog Sages with bumble bees hanging on them that I water every other day if it does not rain would LOVE IT in Preston.  They would cheer up Depreston, too.
  • Great, that's me today planting up 48 9cm pots in the Greenhouse, back aching 😫
    Keeps you off the streets though @SamBevington  ;)
    Hope they do well for you. If you're worried, post a photo   :)

I'm smiling at the idea of Aberdeen being the snowiest place in Scotland. It really isn't.  :)

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 1,085
    Fairygirl said:

I'm smiling at the idea of Aberdeen being the snowiest place in Scotland. It really isn't.  :)
    As someone that was stuck in Braemar for 2 days trying to get back to Dundee, i have to agree.  :D
    Sunny Dundee
    Indeed @Balgay.Hill;)
    Aboyne [not far away] frequently records the lowest temps in the UK, but all of that area has very heavy snow in almost any winter, along with various other areas, of course.  :)