Forum home Plants

Burnt tops of Aubretia with Growmore

I put down Growmore on my young Aubretia plants and it has burnt them, all to various degrees, do I need to cut back to soil or they will recover again.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,288
    Growmore should be spread around any plants it's given to.
    Any granules that fall on the leaves or stem will cause chemical burns.
    So long as you haven't overfed I imagine the plants will recover, but if you can post a photo that may help us advise on the best course of action

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,430
    Then leaves that are burnt won't turn green again but the plants should survive and grow new ones if you used the right amount of growmore for the area, and not too much.
    For next year, with most fertilisers and suchlike, it's better to use a bit less if in doubt - you can always add more if necessary, but I don't use growmore myself so I don't know what the recommended dosage is. I have in my head that it's a high-nitrogen feed for using earlier in the growing season (spring/summer) but I could be wrong there - it should be on the instructions somewhere, with the dosage.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Thank you, will do, I wondered that, but as I have 150 feet of wall, I just scattered it. Lukily we have has over 2 inches of rain since. I had cut them all back to start fresh again in August, so thought give them a boost. 
  • Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited October 2021
    I don't use it.  I prefer Fish, Blood, and Bone because it is natural.  I have been warned not to overuse even that, and that it could burn the plants if I do.

Growmore information warns: "*Westland Growmore is not recommended for use on ericaceous/ lime-hating/ acid-loving plants. To be used only where there is a recognised need."

Is yours that kind of plant?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,817
    edited October 2021
    The rain will help disperse it @derekjjbrooksjYdThrqc, and they're tough plants, so they should manage. Hopefully, you'll get a good amount soon if you're in a drier area, as auutumn/winter sets in a bit more.  :)
    Aubretia rarely need fed at all, as they do best in poorer conditions, so it's better to just add a bit of spent compost or similar round them. That's plenty of nourishment  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,288
    I'd guess they will probably recover - but that's a LOT of Growmore you've put down - way too much.
    I use blood, fish and bone on many plants in the spring - it's much safer then growmore and unlikely to burn plants. It also deliver nutrients over a period of about 6 weeks.
    There's no need to give plants a 'boost' in the autumn - they're closing down for winter - spring it's when it may be needed but there are plenty of plants that thrive better on poor soil

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited October 2021
    There's no need to give plants a 'boost' in the autumn - they're closing down for winter - spring it's when it may be needed but there are plenty of plants that thrive better on poor soil

Hopefully, the plants will go inactive soon and when they wake up in the spring, the growmore will have dissolved and dispersed from all the rain and the thawing snow, if we have any.  They will wake up and think: "Ha, lots of nutrition, but not too much," and grow very happily.
    They're tough plants, and that should disperse, well before they flower in April or thereabouts. 
    Just don't be in a hurry to feed them again @derekjjbrooksjYdThrqc  ;)

A tiny sprinkle of B,F&B is all that's needed for many plants, but those really need nothing. They're generally regarded as alpines, and therefore need no assistance.  :)

• Thank you everyone, yes I did given my 150 feet of wall a good sprinkle. I decided this afternoon to cut them back, and surprisingly, once you get past the top burnt section they are really green. Things grow funny in Cornwall, mild, lasy year they flowered again in November, and then May. So fingers crossed with mild temps and lots of rain forecast they will get going again. Wont be using that again.

They'll be fine then. Plenty of moisture down there, especially over winter. You're not so likely to get cold enough temps to affect the new growth either, so they should come away well  Not surprising you get a later flush of flowers too. :)

Keep the Growmore for other things  ;)