Forum home Problem solving

Cotoneaster diseased/dead

I am not sure, but I think this is a cotoneaster.  It had abundant berries in September 2020 although quite a bit of dead wood.  In February this year I noticed that the tree appeared to be going rotten at the base, but the berries were still on it.  Since then the tree has gone from bad to worse and I've attached a few photos which show the current situation.  It looks dead and hasn't leafed up much this year.  I scratched at a couple of the branches and they look dead.  Leaves that have appeared have been curled, blackish and dried.  Can anyone give me advice on what might have happened and whether it may come back with hard pruning. Any ideas gratefully received. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    That doesn't look too hopeful to me :( . I don't know what's done for it, but cotoneaster is in the rose family so fireblight is a possibility (I can't see any cankers but it's hard to tell from pictures). Is there any sign of new growth from the roots, at the base of the plant? It might be worth cutting it down and leaving the roots -  if it's still alive it will regrow, and if it doesn't show any signs of growth in spring, then take it out. Taking out the roots will be easier if you leave a stump to act as a lever.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    I'm struggling with the photos I'm afraid, but I think it could be a Pyracantha, and as @JennyJ says - they do get fireblight. 
    Did it flower in spring, and does it normally have berries? Both of those have flowers and berries, but Pyracanthas have sharp thorns.
    Either way, if it's really rotten at the base, it doesn't sound hopeful.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I thought it was one of the larger-leaved kinds of cotoneaster, but still, most likely and ex-shrub :(
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    I couldn't make my mind up @JennyJ!
    Cornubia maybe? 
    I agree though - that looks fairly terminal   :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....