Forum home The potting shed

Hello Forkers - October '21

ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,413

Here's hoping October brings us new beginnings, solution to old problems, good growing and planting some fun for us all.

Here's the place to chat, vent, commiserate, share triumphs, joys and sadness and know we  are not alone.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• Pat EPat E Posts: 10,359
    Thanks Obelixx. I wondered how she’d do it while lazing on holidays. 🙄😁

we’ve had another 3mm rain overnight and the clouds are building up again across the valley. Hoping for more rain. I’ve an old Viburnum which has developed a maze of buds and they are beginning to open up. Might pick a few for the vase as the perfume will be nice in here. 
    S. E. NSW
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 10,359
    Here is my vase of Viburnum plus a bit of Grevillea.  The perfume from the Viburnum is amazing. 

Pleased for Hosta. About time you got a break! 

S. E. NSW
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,774
    Good morning everyone 😊 ☕️ 
    Thank you @Obelixx 🙏 
    just easing myself into the day … OH is finishing the packing and tidying before we start the trek homewards … we’ll be staying the night near Milton Keynes just a couple of miles from the farm where I was born on the edge of the Woburn estate …
    It’s been a really fantastic holiday … ☀️ 🏊‍♀️ 🍽 🎨 😎 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,513
    Morning all. 
    I'm so glad you had a lovely holiday @Dovefromabove, despite the weather.
    Thanks you all for your continuing kindess. It's greatly appreciated.
    Devon.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,807
    Morning all ☔️☔️☔️

Wet and stormy here.  Sister is climbing Snowdon for charity tomorrow…..rather her than me in this weather 😳

Double digging was done at college yesterday 😅.  It was really great to actually do something that I have drawn so many diagrams about 🤣.  Asked your question @Hostafan1, but no answer given re research.  Just the usual list of reasons about improving soil structure (Charles Dowding says the opposite), only way to deal with clay soils (Charles Dowding says the opposite), only way to deal with perennial weeds (Charles Dowding says the opposite).  The RHS is revamping its syllabus this year.  It will be interesting to see how much they change.  Can’t see the dinosaurs 🦕 giving up digging……but at least the obligatory hormone rooting powder might get removed.  There is a classic “examiners comment” on one of the past exam questions on cultivation techniques which says “candidates who gave no-dig as one of their examples could be given no marks, as it is not a method of cultivation”  🤔🤔🤔.

Anyways ….4 more days of studying til judgement day.  Going to see if I can remember the 213 latin plant names in my plant portfolio before breakfast 🤣.  Stratiotes aloides anyone??
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • CharlotteFCharlotteF East Surrey, UKPosts: 333
    Good luck @chicky. That examiner's comment is quite incredible! I must have imaginary vegetables this year or have been digging in my sleep unknowingly 😂

There is increasing recognition in agriculture of the harm that ploughing does to the land, makes you wonder what the syllabus is on those sorts of courses still too. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,774
    Lots of farmers are using ‘no-till’ methods of growing crops where it’s suitable to do it …. If it didn’t work you can bet your bottom dollar farmers wouldn’t do it. Their livelihoods depend on it. It should be remembered tho that they are farming land that has been mechanically cultivated for  generations … don’t think anyone’s doing it on virgin land … nowadays farmers can’t wait any longer than necessary for optimum results. There is also a shortage of animal manure in non-stock rearing parts of the UK. 

Right … off we go …
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,353
    Good October morning everyone.

Another beautiful sunny cold morning, but the weather on the turn for the weekend.  The veggie garden has come to a halt, so next week will be pulling up tomato stakes and plants.  Will give some air to the brassicas.

@Obelixx   Bravo for starting this new monthly thread!
    @Dovefromabove  Safe return.
    @Pat E   You always put on such lovely photos!  Shame they haven't got smell, too!!
    @chicky  Last 4 swotting days, hang in there!

Electricity in France is going up 12% in January - crazy increase!!  Everything is going up, but 12% is a lot.

Have a pleasant day everyone.

Tui
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,413
    Farmers here still plough but neighbour Luc - beef cattle - does rotate his fields between grass for grazing and automatic manuring, grass for hay, wheat for feed and bedding straw and sweetcorn for silage.  Others grow sunflowers too and most use mustard or phacelia as a soil improver crop.   We do still have hedges so at least that stops some soil erosion.

That's why we installed PV panels @tui34.  Energy prices will always rise.

Give them what they want @chicky but don't practise what they preach.

Love you viburnum @Pat E.   Must remember to pick some of ours this winter/spring.

Have a safe journey @Dovefromabove and anyone else who has to hit the road today.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,412
    Morning all, feeling rather fragile in the face today after the nose cauterization. Not a very careful Dr.....he didn't protect the skin under my nose from the Silver Nitrate so now have burning strange coloured skin on top of congestion and runny nose!
    Love the picture Pat as usual, have a safe journey Dove.
    Reading your post @chicky reminds me of my French neighbours who rotovate their soils all the time before planting, one never has anything added to it .....its heavy clay and he wonders why he has such trouble growing good veggies. That's the way it's always been done and probably always will be.
    Best wishes to all.