Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog Home/ feeder!!

jakeandjoeshowjakeandjoeshow Posts: 2
edited September 2021 in Wildlife gardening
Hi there,  im a newbie here so hello to all!!
I’v purchased a hedgehog house with a baffle to stop cats and foxes entering and set it up as a feeding chamber and iv set up 3 bricks on top of each other 5” from the hog home entrance doorway!  But im still not convinced its the hedgehog iv saw a couple if times in my garden so my question is would birds enter my hog home or a squirrel?  And eating wet cat food and hedgehog food home!  As only thing i think that would fit in would be a bird for sure,   Or maybe a small squirrel that do live around my area.  I know for sure now its not a fox or a cat now due to putting up 3 bricks 5” from the hog home doorway!  So im just trying to eliminate what other animals are eating the cat food and hedgehog food so i know for sure its the hedgehog that’s eating the food! I feed birds also but im suspicious it coukd be the Starlings entering my hog house as i saw a bird poop right at the entrance of hig house. Iv not saw any hedgehog poop in house or near... anyway thanks guys for your answers i will be very much appreciate your input here... Cheers  Pauline.. Xx

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,676

HI , and welcome to the Forum.
    I use a trap, with a stick to stop the door closing ( keeps the local cats out ). My wee Spikeys come every night around 9pm.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,148
    What material is your feeding station made from ? I would think a bird would only enter if it could see what was in there, so if it is solid, my money is on maybe a mouse or rat (sorry).
    The only way to find out for sure is to set up a wildlife camera.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,122
    You'd be surprised how easily cats get in @jakeandjoeshow  :/
    Won't be birds, and highly unlikely to be a fox due to the size, or a squirrel. 
    Alternatively, as @AnniD says, although the mice here only ever eat the dry hog food.

If you can take a photo of the hog house and upload it, we can offer more ideas.
    The icon that looks like hills is the one to use   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited September 2021
    Hostafan1 said:

HI , and welcome to the Forum.
    I use a trap, with a stick to stop the door closing ( keeps the local cats out ). My wee Spikeys come every night around 9pm.
    Absolutely ingenious, a real MacGyver!  I have a mouse trap in the garage.  Spikey is SO gorgeous! Thanks for the idea!
    edited September 2021
    I bought a hedgehog house from the National Trust online so that my hog can settle down in it for this winter.  It arrived 2 weeks ago.  I had failed to read the description that it was coming flat packed. I hate putting flat packed things together; the drilling makes my arm ache.  So, it is sitting in the garage for me to find some time and motivation to actually sit down and put it together.
    Hostafan1 , will the trap deter my foxie, too?   

How does it deal with squirrels?  I take it that squirrels don't like the wet cat food like food in there?
    Foxes have never come this close to the house and we , mercifully, don't have many squirrels around the house either.
    Devon.
    edited September 2021
    Hopefully my Foxie is too big to get in there.  

And my squirrels are divas.  They won't even eat flapjack bites unless it is the first thing I give them after a hungry night.  Always begging for nuts - hazelnuts, walnuts, sunflower hearts. . .

I don't know how you managed to take that picture.  My hedgehog is very shy.  Currently I leave a sprinkle of biscuits among flower patches where he hunts for slugs.  He always waits till I turn the lights off and the draw the curtains before coming out for them.  I catch him now and then coming in from a late night run along the beach when I leave the house dark.

I don't want him too full either, or he won't hunt for slugs.
    the edge of the step in the foreground is outside the French Windows and I just lay on the floor indoors and took it.

Devon.
  • Slugs and snails aren’t actually very good for hedgehogs as they can catch lungworm from them.

On the bright side hedgehogs eat a lot of beetles and other ground insects … they can get through a lot of adult vineweevils 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh