Forum home Tools and techniques

Polythene gauge for winter protection

I am wanting to create a small version of a polytunnel/cloche to protect some autumn/winter salad leaves etc.  My existing polytunnel has 200 micron gauge polythene. Looking online for a similar or slightly thinner gauge (for easier flexibility) all the polythene seems to be graded as 'gsm' which, l understand does not relate to microns. I'd like some advise as to what gsm l should go for?  There seems to be a complicated formula to work this out, which l cannot begin to understand!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,366
    Not something I know about @lesleymeyrick, but lots of folk on the forum will use various polythenes for different reasons, and might be able to help. 
    My reply will, at least, bump your query up the page :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 8,234
    This web page explains it in a not-too-complicated way, and gives a formula using an average specific density for polypropylene roofing sheeting (down near the bottom). Only thing is, I don't know how similar that is to the plastics that you're looking at for the polytunnel. I think I'd just go to a DIY place, look at/feel what they'd got, and make a judgement.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Which web page please? Nothing showing.
    Oops, don't know what became of the link. Here you go https://www.tarcoroofing.com/blog/320-thickness-versus-gsm
  • Thank you, a bit of bedtime reading!
  • It seems that although not exact, for my purposes 1:1 will be ok, microns being 'a bit' thicker than gsm, but not enough difference to matter to me.  Thanks for the link!
    Glad you got some help @lesleymeyrick.
    She's quite good - that @JennyJ ;)

Aw shucks @Fairygirl :blush:
     :D