Forum home Problem solving

Pumpkin leaves develop grey and yellow marks and holes.

rolanda.woorolanda.woo Posts: 93
edited September 2021 in Problem solving
My pumpkin plant has been suffering a couple waves of mildew spots since August. The guy working in the garden centre told me it's likely to be blight and it's probably the unstable weather to be blamed. He advised me to spray fungicide. 

After the first treatment, the mildew seemed to have stopped developing. But then gradually some leaves (I got an impression they are the same leaves that had mildew) started developing grey/yellow spots all over. About a week ago, these leaves started to have more and more holes growing and with the edge started withering. 

I've got another wave of mildew since last week. So I sprayed more fungicide. But I'm also wondering what really happened to those wilting leaves. 

There are still about 2/3 leaves are green (but had mild mildew earlier on before the spray). I'm just hoping they could hang on until the pumpkins fully ripen...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,317
    The pumpkins don’t ripen until the leaves are dying off … it’s part of the same process. Don’t worry about those leaves, they’re perfectly normal for the time of year. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The pumpkins don’t ripen until the leaves are dying off … it’s part of the same process. Don’t worry about those leaves, they’re perfectly normal for the time of year. 😊 
    Oh, thank you so much! I almost gave up with the hope that anyone had an answer. :) 

Glad it's not to do with the fungi.  o:)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,317
    When the short stem of the pumpkin turns brown then you can cut it from the vine… but don’t cut the short stem … cut through the vine ‘above and below’ the pumpkin so it’s a bit like a ‘T’ … sort of a handle. Then you can put the pumpkin somewhere dry for the skin to ‘cure’. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh