Forum home Problem solving

What to plant?

Hello forum members, I’m hoping I can get some advice here. 
I have a 6ft single privacy trellis coming out perpendicular from my porch that separates my front door from my neighbours. It’s a south facing site so the trellis runs north to south. It is somewhat exposed and can be quite windy at times as we live next to open fields. The plot it sits on is 2ft wide so only a foot each side of the trellis. Hopefully that gives you a good idea of the site. 
I want to plant a fragrant, flowering, evergreen climber that doesn’t bush out too much (because of the one foot each side). I thought about star jasmine but am not sure it is hardy enough given the wind. Does anyone have any suggestions?
and before you ask, yes I do get on well with  the neighbours 😁

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    edited September 2021
    Hi @sheldon.dyer.  It's quite difficult to recommend anything for such a tiny space unfortunately. 
    Assuming you're in a location where that jasmine is hardy, I think it would be too big for the space. I'm not sure what you mean by a single trellis, but you'd need at least 6 feet in both directions.  :)
    Fragrant, flowering and evergreen is quite a tall order. 

Have you got a photo? That would help with advice. The icon that looks like hills is the one to use.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,223
    Hi @sheldon.dyer - and welcome to the forum.

I agree with @fairygirl that you really need a much bigger space to grow jasmine. Also the star jasmine is a little tender and does better in a sunny sheltered spot. If it gets battered by cold, drying winds the leaves tend to brown and shrivel - not attractive.

I might be tempted towards a small climbing rose. The David Austin website is a good place to look. His New English roses are bred for scent (some are better than others!) and repeat flowering. Most of them are shrub roses but there are some which can be trained as a short climber.

My friend is growing DA's "Strawberry Hill" against a trellis a similar size to yours and it's doing quite nicely (despite her hopelessly poor pruning and training skills 😬). Lovely scent and nice form and the blooms withstand summer rain and wind better than some other roses.

It's not evergreen but provides good cover for quite a bit of the year. Maybe you could also grow a winter jasmine there for winter interest. It's much less vigorous than the summer ones.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • The trellis is going here to replace the conifers. 
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,223
    The picture helps🙂

I thought the trellis was maybe only about a metre wide by 6' high - but maybe you mean it's 6' long?

If it's 2m x 2m you maybe have room to grow a jasmine - but they still prefer a sheltered spot....

What's more important to you? - evergreen screening or scented flowers? I can't think of anything which would give you both.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    I had to turn it - my neck can't cope any more with the photo problems we have!

I'd echo what @Topbird says - is it 6 feet x 6 feet or a narrower piece you're putting in? 
    The bigger you can make the trellis screen, the more scope you'll have.  :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391
    And how big is the actual planting area …. the conifer could be protruding quite a bit …?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I think it's just a couple of feet @Dovefromabove.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391
    edited September 2021
    Ah yes thanks @Fairygirl  … a foot each side of the trellis.

Is the neighbour going to plant something on the other side?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes it’s a 6’x6’ panel that’s going in. At ground level it is 2’ so running the trellis up the middle gives me a foot each side. The neighbours are happy for the growth to be on their side a little too. It’s the privacy type diamond trellis (picture)so the holes are quite small. I guess given the privacy of the trellis that flowering is more important. 
    So the trellis on your side is west facing?
    The jasmine might  be ok - but it depends where you live. They aren't hardy everywhere. 
    I'd opt for a rose [if there are suitable ones -I don't grow them] or a clematis. Hundreds of those to choose from.