Forum home Plants

Aster ID please!

Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,206
edited September 2021 in Plants
Dear fellow forum members,
Forgive me because I have sinned. :'(
In the course of my weekly shopping at Super-U (a French supermarket which our friend @Obelixx knows well) I was irresistibly attracted by this aster in full bloom. Bought it and planted it in the garden this afternoon. Unfortunately the "label" on the pot just said "Aster, 17cm pot". I have often derided fellow members who find themselves in this situation and claimed that I buy plants from a proper GC or nursery, not from a supermarket. :(
Anyway, if some charitable soul were able to suggest a proper identification for this aster I would be eternally grateful.
PS.- I have searched the Internet but there are so many kinds of asters...

Aster ? 'Super-U'. Height and width about 40 cm.
You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,408
    There are so many that it'll only ever be a guess, but maybe

Symphyotrichum novi-belgii ‘Tonga’

(sorry about the big shouty text - I copied and pasted it to save having to type it out and I can't see how to change the font)

Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,206
    @JennyJ Thanks! Looks very much like it.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • didywdidyw Posts: 3,519
    @JennyJ
    Just before you post, right click on your mouse and you'll get the option of 'paste as plain text'.  Don't know how you would do it on a phone or with a touch pad though - I'm very old school. Sorry @Papi Jo, can't help with ID as I only grow Little Carlow and frikartii Monch - but that colour is stunning!
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • @didyw if you like Little Carlow and Frikartii Monch can I recommend this one 

https://www.bethchatto.co.uk/a-z/a-b/aster/aster-amellus-veilchenk-nigin-violet-queen.htm  

I bought it on a visit  to BC’s gardens with Wonky, and IMHO it’s head and shoulders above those two. It’s a bit taller than the others, and the strong and slender dark stems hold the flowers so elegantly. Absolutely gorgeous. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

That is gorgeous - thanks @Dovefromabove. I'm going to have a think about what goes where because there are a few lovely BC plants that I would like.

@didyw There wasn't a "paste as plain text" option on my right button menu in this forum. Don't know whether that's a browser thing (I use Firefox, Windows 10).
    @didyw if you like Little Carlow and Frikartii Monch can I recommend this one 

https://www.bethchatto.co.uk/a-z/a-b/aster/aster-amellus-veilchenk-nigin-violet-queen.htm  

I bought it on a visit  to BC’s gardens with Wonky, and IMHO it’s head and shoulders above those two. It’s a bit taller than the others, and the strong and slender dark stems hold the flowers so elegantly. Absolutely gorgeous. 

That's interesting. I had Veilchenkönigin once and it performed nowhere near as well as either Little Carlow or Mönch, gradually deteriorated over several years and eventually wasn't worth keeping. It is lovely though.

@JennyJ - I use Chrome.  Had no idea that browsers would make a difference to something like that!
  • JennyJ said:
    @didyw if you like Little Carlow and Frikartii Monch can I recommend this one 

That's interesting. I had Veilchenkönigin once and it performed nowhere near as well as either Little Carlow or Mönch, gradually deteriorated over several years and eventually wasn't worth keeping. It is lovely though.

Had it three years or so and it’s filling out nicely and more than holding its own in an overcrowded  west-facing bed 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,275
    I bought a few similar asters a few years ago - they were all labelled just 'aster novae belgii' I got a deep red, a white and this mauve/blue one (3 for £5).
    It was only about 10" in the pot but has grown to about 2ft now

Little Carlow is still a fave. It does flop, but there are hundreds of flowers that last for ages

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.