Forum home Problem solving

Unhappy rose standard

Hi
We've had a terrible year. Warm when it should be cold, cold when it should be warm, windy, dry and wet. Lots of garden casualties.

I'm wonderig if this is another. Standard rose, but grafted part looking split and brown. Worth trying to save or buy a new one over the bare root season?

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,777
    No hope for that one, sorry... time to get rid...
  • Ok, thanks for the speedy reply. I did think so.
    The other one looks ok to me?

..yes that one's ok... although it looks secured and sheltered, you can snip off the tops to prevent windrock and prune back by half in late winter..
  • Yeah, I give them a good hack after enjoying the look of the rose hips for the first bit of winter.

I'll look for a replacement for the other as they stand as a pair.
  • Thanks for all your help (again!)
  • Jac19Jac19 Worthing, South Coast of EnglandPosts: 496
    edited September 2021
    The same thing happened to my standards.  I bought a pair of them as bare roots and planted them in 2 big planters on the patio.  Both sprouted leaves and then the wind struck and damaged all tender sprouted leaves.  The wind in my garden got them.  They died.

I have not pulled them out and planted lavenders in the planters.
    oh that's ok... have I helped you before? I can't recall..

.. don't replant in the same hole without considerable amendments... 2-3 feet away should be alright..
  • Yes, I've asked you about the climbing rose we have on the front of the house and it may have been you that answered a out my alba semiplena that turned into an alba Maxima.

It's in a very large pot, so I'll dump the soil and compost and use fresh.

Thanks