Forum home Plants

Passion flower and honeysuckle together.

mchuamchua Posts: 210
Hi I’m in the process of inheriting a property. The plot is about 1/3 of an acre. I kinda got a lot of questions about how to look after / rejuvenate everything as I really want to make something of this garden (sentimental value).

Same person as the “Huge buddleja” discussion 🙋‍♂️ For starters there is a honeysuckle and passion flower both intermingled and it looks real messy. Is it best to cut these back hard in spring?  The passion flower at still has buds that haven’t blossomed yet, and lots of empty ones that have come and gone. 

• Passion flowers are best in a south facing aspect whilst Honeysuckles generally prefer some shade.
    Both are greedy with regards to water and a decent root run.
    I wouldn't say they are really the best close companions so you may want to consider removing one and planting elsewhere.
    If you know the garden fairly well, perhaps a bit more info on rough location, soil, aspect will help with advice from people :)
  • I’d try rooting some layers so that you have the option of establishing new ‘offspring’ if the originals if necessary. 
    😊  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• mchuamchua Posts: 210
    Passion flowers are best in a south facing aspect whilst Honeysuckles generally prefer some shade.
    Both are greedy with regards to water and a decent root run.
    I wouldn't say they are really the best close companions so you may want to consider removing one and planting elsewhere.
    If you know the garden fairly well, perhaps a bit more info on rough location, soil, aspect will help with advice from people :)
    Thank you. They’re both growing up against a lean-to, and are south to south east facing. 
    I’d try rooting some layers so that you have the option of establishing new ‘offspring’ if the originals if necessary. 
    😊  
    I just read up on that. A bit advanced for me! Gotta know I’m doing. 🙂
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    You can do it!🙂  All you need is a biggish stone,  layer a trailing piece of the plant on the soil, scrape it up a bit so it’s soft,  scrape the plant a little bit just to scuff the stem and pin it down with the stone,  it can take a while though so don’t be in a hurry to look and see. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• CebeCebe Posts: 57
    Looks to me like you have brambles in amongst those plants - you might want to cut them right back before you start training the plants you want to keep 🙂
    Cebe said:
    Looks to me like you have brambles in amongst those plants - you might want to cut them right back before you start training the plants you want to keep 🙂
    Oh it’s unbelievable in other parts of the plot. It had just got wild with blackberry bushes and couch grass. The task I’ve got is pretty monumental. After clearing it all I discovered a flower bed underneath about 15m long! Lots of potential, just need to do one bit at a time.

So it’s ok to cut the passion flower and honeysuckle right back?  In spring?  Also I can see the root run now I’ve cleared it a bit. It’s a mess. 
    So it’s become entangled and woody overtime from no maintenance. Is it best to start again with it and cut it all back in winter or spring? It’s producing the red berries now. 
    Man I got so much to do (mostly fixing everything) 😂 I cant really think about planting this year bc everything is so neglected. 
  • As you mention berries, I'm assuming you mean the Honeysuckle ?  If you want to save the berries, leave it for a bit longer but it's hard to see from the pic what is what.
    You may be better off following the plant down and cutting just above the base if you want to clear for future planting or removing it completely.  Well established Honeysuckles aren't easy to kill so you could get ready to train new growth where you want when it regrows in Spring and go from there.