Forum home Plants

Identification please

hello,
I have this at the bottom of the garden, I am afraid I have let it overgrown somewhat and need to trim it back.
I have no idea what it is, any help gladly appreciated 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,435
    It looks like privet to me. Which would be good because you can chop it as hard as you like.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • many thanks Jenny
    i was hoping to reduce the height and hope the foliage would thicken lower down ?
  • I had not much fun with them in our garden @johncleme65. They grew so fast year by year, I had to take them off as it was too much work and in particular I couldn’t get rid of the sheer amount of branches. In the right condition, they grow like crazy. What looked nice in February became a jungle in September. I had to go year by year 5x on a day to the waste collection here were I live and the car was cramped with all the branches. 

I my garden.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,844
    Looks like privet to me too.  :)
    You can certainly hack it back hard, and it'll come away. It's very tough. Sometimes the bottom gets shaded out [in hedges] because of the way they're trimmed - the top should be narrower than the base. However, yours may simply have been trimmed in that way to make use of the border below? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Many thanks to all of you
    must admit, I was lazy and left it, wow, it does grow so fast.