Forum home Problem solving

Talitroides topitotum

I have just found theses in my borders do they do any harm to plants or pets

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,637
    I had no idea this creature existed. Whether it is what you identified it as, or some other similar leaf-litter dwelling beastie, it will probably just eat decaying vegetation and leaf litter, doing no harm at all.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,377
    If you’re in the UK I rather think you’ve found  Springtails …  https://www.naturespot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/19503  
    common invertebrates found in leaf litter in woods and gardens and harmless to man, beast and plants. 😊 

Talitroides topitotum are found in Sri Lanka, Java, Australia etc, not in the UK as far as I’m aware. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,637
    Dove, this post sent me down a bit of a rabbit-hole and they have in fact been reported in the UK, bizarrely!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,377
    Goodness me!  Fancy that @Loxley … I s’pose that’s globalisation for us.  
    It’s still more likely that the questioner has found springtails tho’ … unless they’ve been ID’d by the Natural History Museum or similar, don’t you think? 🤔 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh