Forum home Problem solving

Identification please.

Hi all,
Will someone please identify this leaf. We think it's a tree sapling. I had a similar situation many years ago, when weeding a previous garden. Had my hand around a sturdy looking "weed" & decided to leave it. That "Weed" grew into a handsome Silver Birch.

Any help appreciated.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,075
    It looks rather like an ash leaf to me
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    It does. A photos of it in situ would help though, or at least, of how the end is formed. 
    You might not want to keep that, if it is Ash. They get quite big   ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,386
    Looks like ash to me too … they get big … and expensive …

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• They certainly do.  £600 2 years ago just to "tidy it up" without any reduction in height or little in the way of reducing canopy spread ( Conservation Area so restrictions applied ).
    They also seed like there's no tomorrow so a constant battle with seedlings/saplings.
    Lovely trees and concern with Ash dieback but.............. :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    They're also very good at staying alive [no singing please  ;) ] because stumps treated with brushwood killer can take a few applications before giving up. 
    Best dug out before it gets too big   :)

We don't have any die back in this area, although I think Perthshire does now. Different climate there though. There's some impressive ones near me. That pic is just up the road at the farm. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you all for your very convincing ID. We'd already removed the offending sapling & a couple more smaller ones. With regard to the height of the ash, I am shortly having to lop app 5/6ft from a beautiful conifer, (don't know the variety) which we planted 8yrs ago at a height of around 18" it's now a very majestic 20' tall. The local nursery chappie suggested taking that much off & then to gather the top branches loosely together 'til the top recovers as it continues to grow. 
    Thanks again.