Forum home Plants

Thick Greyish mildew? What is this?

Hello
i've noticed a thick greyish mildew on fallen turkish hazelnuts, and I need some help identifying it. Please help! More photos available if you need them. I'm a bit worried.

Thanks

Chris

• Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited September 2021
    Looks like GREY MOULD.  Read more on the RHS page linked.

There is a liquid spray that comes in a normal spray bottle named "RHS Bug & Mildew Control" you can buy.  It is free of pesticides.  Look for it in your local garden centre or online.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Are you in the UK @casewickorchard?
    What conditions do you have etc, how and where is the tree growing? Climate etc. 
    Any more photos from further out will also help people offer advice.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874
    edited September 2021
    Looks like Botrytis ….. possibly B. cinerea …. which affects Corylus species, particularly in humid and low light conditions, both of which we’ve had in the UK this year. 

There’s been a really high incidence of rusts,  blights and other fungal conditions over most of the UK this year due to the weather. 

As the spores are carried on the breeze there’s not a lot the gardener can do to prevent it and I believe that effective treatments are only available to commercial growers 

It would be good practice to gather any affected nuts and foliage and burn dispose in a commercial/ local authority composting bin where the compost should reach higher temperatures than most home composting. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    That was my thought @Dovefromabove , which is why I asked for location etc.
    Not a tree I've ever grown, or even seen in western areas up here, so I wasn't sure, although apparently there's a big one at Edinburgh Botanic. Different climate there though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...