Forum home Problem solving

Tree trunks

Can anyone advise? My garden is in the process of landscaping and being levelled instead of the slope that is there. There  are trees on the slope, but the soil will now be higher than the tree trunks. What can I do to protect them? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,168
    If you raise the soil  too much round the trunks it may kill them, depending on the species.  What sort of trees are they ? Do you have a photo?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Yes that is what concerns me. There's a holly and a couple of ash trees. Someone told me you can get a protector to put around the trunks, but I don't know what sort of thing that is. 
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,113
    Fallon  Again, we're short on detail?  We don't know how big the trees are, i.e. how thick the trunks are, nor have you told us how far up the trunks the displaced earth is likely to go.  If the trees aren't ginormous, and the earthing up is no more than a foot, I'd carry on regardless.  I'm pretty sure ash will re-sprout from the newly covered area, as will the holly probably.  Consult a professional if you're still worried.
  • Thank you.  Will do.  
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,652
    edited September 2021
    You shouldn't raise soil above the natural root flare where the trunk hits the ground - it can cause the bark to rot. Unfortunately you shouldn't raise soil levels significantly over the root system either. As a rule of thumb, the root system extends 12x the diameter of the trunk (measured at 1.5m off the ground). Although you can reduce this for young saplings.

People do ignore this stuff and sometimes the trees are OK, but if you have to change levels leave as large an unaffected area as possible around the tree. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    edited September 2021
    I'd agree with @Loxley. If it's going to be difficult, you might have to create a raised barrier round the trees instead, but that will depend on the maturity of them. 
    A few inches will do little harm for many trees, but a foot is a substantial amount. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for all your replies. Noted.