Forum home Plants

Indoor jasmine looking sad

Hello

My jasmimum polyanthum is looking really bad. Seems to be a bit dry but I have been watering it regularly and the potting soil is moist at the moment. 

I got it in March in full bloom and kept it indoors in the same place since then. Bright indirect light.

Anything I can do? I am tempted to move it to a bigger container and place it in a sheltered spot outside..

• Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited September 2021
    Yes, it looks like the rootball has outgrown the pot and all the nutrition in the soil is used up.  It is bright and sunny now.  It makes sense to move to a bigger pot with more potting soil, and then leave it out in the full sun to enjoy the fresh air.

Looks like there is no nutrition left in the soil in there which is likely why the plant is suffering.  Compost gets used up really fast and you need to mix it up with soil.  I use Westland Rose Potting Mix soil (very cheap at just £2), and there are other soil mixes out there with slow release fertilizer.
  • Jac19 said:
    Yes, it looks like the rootball has outgrown the pot and all the nutrition in the soil is used up.  It is bright and sunny now.  It makes sense to move to a bigger pot with more potting soil, and then leave it out in the full sun to enjoy the fresh air.

Looks like there is no nutrition left in the soil in there which is likely why the plant is suffering.  Compost gets used up really fast and you need to mix it up with soil.  I use Westland Rose Potting Mix soil (very cheap at just £2), and there are other soil mixes out there with slow release fertilizer.
    Thanks. Do you recommend leaving outside?
    Thanks. Do you recommend leaving outside?

While the weather is good -- i.e. not too cold -- they will love to be in the full sun outside.
    edited September 2021
    They enjoy temperatures higher than 10 degrees Centigrade.  My Jasmines are planted outside.  Hence, I have a fleece jacket I will put over them over the winter months if and when temperatures fall below about 7 C.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    edited September 2021
     Jasminum polyanthum is considerably more tender than Jasminum officinale which can be hardy in sheltered gardens in milder parts of the UK. 

The former is more of a hothouse/conservatory plant … happy in dappled shade in a sheltered spot outside during summer months, but if it was mine I’d be bringing it indoors this week and keeping it inside until late June.  

And yes, it needs a much bigger pot … there’s nearly as much growing done below the surface of the soil as above. 

Regular misting of the foliage will help prevent the leaves drying out in future, but I’m afraid it’ll drop most of those and look a bit poorly until they’re replaced. 
    😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• @Jac19 , I am not an expert ( I do not grow jasmine as I dislike the fragrance) , but from your other posts  it sounds like the type you are growing outdoors is jasminum officinale  ( with protection for winter). I believe jasminum polyanthum ( which is the one that @Dedekind has) is  less hardy so unless Dedekind is in a very protected microclimate in the UK, it will most likely need to be indoors from mid autumn onwards at the latest, not just covered with fleece outside . Agree on the larger pot idea though.
    happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable people.
    Kindness is always the right choice.
    Jasmine Polyanthum likes it much cooler than my Jasmine Officinale, I am informed.  They enjoy temperatures from 4.5C to 10C.  So, they love to be outside in the sun through autumns that are not colder than 5C, on sunny days in particular.

See excerpt:
    "J. polyanthum requires much cooler growing conditions than many of the other varieties and can actually tolerate temperatures between 40 and 50 degrees from September until the plant sets its buds. During this cool autumn and winter period, water the plant only when the soil has dried out. As with all jasmines, a summer spent outdoors in full sun is the preferred warm-weather treatment."

https://www.chicagobotanic.org/plantinfo/jasmine
  • Interesting. I want to find a more or less permanent spot for it since I am too lazy to move plants around all the time. Just outside the living room there is a very very sheltered spot that gets sun in the morning. I may risk it.. my location is in London and it doesn't get harsh cold winters but it does go below 5 in winter for sure.
  • Optimum growing  temperatures and hardiness are two different things. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

edited September 2021
    Sorry, Dove is right.  Jasmine Polyanthem are very tender and for growing indoors.   You can't keep them out in temperatures below 14C.  Please read here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/jasmine/growing-guide

Mine is a common jasmine (Jasminum officinale) and that can grow outdoors after I get them hardy over the first winter or two.  If you want to grow them outside, consider getting some plants of the Officinale kind.