Forum home Problem solving

drooping rose

2»

• paanpaan Posts: 16
    those are crocks on the bottom 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,844
    @paan
    .. I use that size of pot for one season only, as that's all they're good for.. after which the rose quickly becomes pot bound, the nutrients are used up and it's difficult to retain water... I presume the drainage then is adequate and that water runs through the base of the pot ok...
    ..these types of roses are high maintenance and the reason yours is not thriving is down to its cultivation..  for the longer term pot culture of this rose I would be looking for a minimum 45 x 45cm or better still 60 x 60..
    ..I would leave it now until after xmas, then in the new year repot in a larger pot if you can't plant it in the ground.. then it should improve for next season but even so you should have had some decent blooms from it initially..   fertilizer high in potash helps develop strong stems and buds, it's essential for roses, so that should be added early Spring.. 
    thank you,  yes I will do this - have I planted this too high in pot  ?  should I just have the green  stems  showing above soil?
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,844
    @paan
    ..sorry, I did not see your photos when I replied earlier, they have only just appeared for me.  This sometimes happens here I find, don't know why.

What I can see there is as I originally thought, the whole rootball is dry... I know you feel it's been ''well watered'' but that's not what I'm seeing there.. it's also pot bound... these are the reasons for those droopy stems... I would put that back in the pot and pour a whole bucket of water down it..  what watering you've been giving it has only entered the surface..
    The nutrients are exhausted too, there's little sustenance in that rootball for the rose..

I like to bury that bud union as I think it's ugly and helps prevent suckering, but it's not a problem if it's exposed like that either.  Normally I place it so that the union is about 1 inch below the surface..

Sometime during winter I would use a tool to tease out a lot of those roots, remove as much of the old compost that I could, and repot the roots, like a bare root rose in a fresh pot with fresh soil..

that's brilliant thanks for all the advice and will follow it ! fingers crossed for next year